Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know if its a problem or not.. When my car is not moving and I put it into reverse sometimes it's very hard to do so, and as I am trying, I can hear a slight clunk from the rear of the car, like the 4 wheel drive system or summit! And sometimes, its hard to get into other gears, but this only seems the case when its colder though! Help anyone? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jackal

Evo gearboxes are always 'notchy' at best when cold, especially 3rd for some reason. Without wanting to worry you, stiff gears could also mean a worn clutch or even a synchro problem. I'm currently having my synchros replaced as part of a gearbox rebuild to finally sort a number of problems, including stiff gears. These problems have got loads worse since the weather has gone cold until the box gets warmed up.

I was also getting a clunking problem, which is probably due to a faulty clutch plate which is also being replaced. I know of a few people who have had the same problem because of too much play (there should be some play) at the rear of the drive shaft and a bit of nut tightening has solved the problem.

Hope this helps.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jackel

I to have had this problem and I have just replaced my gearbox oil with Castrol Taff-X. Although I have not done many miles since the change I have noticed an improvement when changing gear ( its not as notchy )

DaveG

Have you got any more info on the clunking at the back of the car ? and is it just a case of tightening up some nuts like you said.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mossy

Afraid not, this has never affected me. But I remember at least 2 people a couple of years ago who were experiencing the same problem and it turned out to be some kind of loose support or coupling that led to too much play in the drive and the clunking was due to quite a lot of 'slack' being taken up when a gear was engaged.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MY NAME IS DJACK!!!! :) This clunking only happens sometimes, when trying to engage the gear in Reverse!! Its a bit mad, sometimes its impossible to put the gear into reverse until I have put it into 4th, then reverse!

I have no problem changing gears at all, but someimes when putting into 3rd from 2nd I crunch the gears.. Its like my clutch is not dropping fully!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Djack

Sory, had just been reading another thread!!!

It sounds like a clutch problem. It's either worn or might be an adjustment problem. The clutch itself is auto-adjusting, but the clutch pedal can be adjusted. If it is adjusted properly you should feel 10-15mm of free play on the clutch pedal before any resistance if you press it with your hand. Do you know when the clutch was last replaced or can you feel any clutch slip?

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cars done 16,500 miles, has not been replaced yet.. I have tried putting it into 4th, and pressing down on the acc ped at low MPH, it does not seem to slip! I have had my gearbox oil changed too, about 4,000 miles ago.. I never really hammer the car, it only happens when cold really.. Will this be expensive? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could also be the engine or gearbox mounts, either loose or worn. Not likely on a fairly low miles car but possible (you probably wouldn't get the crunch on gear change though).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.