Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Does anybody suffer with their rear brakes sticking on when the handbrake has been left
on for 1 or 2 days. This is happening to me quite often, it does release when you drive off
but makes quite a bang as it does.

Phil

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Happened once to me after leaving the car after washing it. Yeah it does make a nice bang doesn't it! Thats because the handbrake has its own separate brake drum and shoe system completely separate from the rear brakes. This is on the E4 to E6 i'm not sure about previous evolutions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Always happens on my 6 after I've washed it on a saturday then try and move on a monday morning.
This is after the pads have bedded in. With fresh pads it doesn't happen.

-Mr mime

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It happens to me quite often as well. Are you sure about the independent system for the handbrajke on the 6. Why would it be like that, that only adds weight, doesn't it?

Tarik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I got it slightly wrong as the handbrake actually works on the rear disc BUT it still uses separate shoes working on the inside of the rear brake disc. Have a look just inside the rear disc and you will see the cable going into the backing plate to the shoes. The manual has quite a large section on installing and adjusting them. You adjust the hand brake shoes by turning the adjuster through the inspection hole in the rear disc. To adjust the handbrake shoes turn the adjuster until you cannot rotate the disc by hand then loosen it off 5 turns. It also states that if you replace the rear discs (or handbrake shoes) then you have to bed them in by first pulling on the handbrake lever with 98-147 N force then driving with the handbrake on for 100 metres at a constant speed of 35-50 km/h. Repeat this 4 or 5 times to complete the bedding in process allowing the brakes to cool for 5-10 minutes between each session.

I assume this means uprating the rear discs can be a bit of a problem. You can also see that leaving the handbrake on after hard brake use (track days) can damage the discs!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sixy,

This has happened to me at odd times ,especially if i have been heavy on the brakes and let the car stand for 2 days.just hot pads on hot disc,watch out for warpage ,if car is not parked on a hill ,but on the flat ,leave car in gear only and hand brake off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.