Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done around 2,800 quite granny-style miles in the car (had it from new) now. I have the odd spell of excited driving but it is not the norm for me. The majority of these miles are just motorway cruising too. No track days and no abuse.

2 or 3 days ago I noticed that the steering wheel shakes when doing light braking from over 70 mph. There is no wheel shaking when braking below this speed. Also...when braking hard at or above 70 mph...there is no shaking.

Am I right in saying that if the discs were warped, I should be getting shaking no matter what speed I was braking from and that light or hard braking should make no difference to it??? :confused:

I don't understand this...I've been really good to the car so far, so I'm quite annoyed. I even tried braking from 100-0 3-4 times really hard to see if brake dust deposits are causing this, but the problem persists!

What should I do. Will dealers fix this under warranty or will I have to buy new discs. I had heard that the Brembos were bad...but this is taking the p[ss.

Any words of wisdom would be really appreciated as this is depressing me :(

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Stop braking like a granny. Use the brakes fairly hard at least once on every trip to keep the disks clean. Oh, and don't hold you foot on the brakes when at traffic lights etc.

If you've been too soft with the brakes for 2800 miles, it might be too late and you have deposits bonded into your disks. A skim might cure it, but you need to change your driving style or it will happen again.

Get you dealer to have a look.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Harder compound pads like DS2500's will help (get rid of deposits easier and dont leave as much either)

:)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! Where can I get the ferodo DS2500s from and how much would it be for a set (2 fronts and 2 rear pads)?

How can you tell the difference between dust deposits and warped discs then?

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
alex_123_fra said:

How can you tell the difference between dust deposits and warped discs then?
Stamp on your brakes a few times from 100mph ish on a private road of course ;) If the judder disapears for a while then its pretty safe to assume its pad deposits and not warped discs.

Depends where you get you pads from but i'm guessing between £180-280 :confused:

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I've been experiencing this a little too, cant say that i drive like a granny but has got a little better since the hard braking from 100-0 maybe a trip to the dealers is on the cards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts