Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright,

Anyone in the metals business?

Got a shed full of angle iron, various lumps of car chassis, a semi complete trailor (100% iron), smashed E7 bonnet, wings, door (ali) and just wondered if it's worth weighing them in or just dumping?

Some of the angle is still in various metre lengths, including a 10m length of 10mm thick, 100mm / 100mm angle.

Any ideas of pricing would be good.

Cheers,

Diehard

P.S. I seem to be asking alot of questions at the moment! lol

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
think mixed metals atm is around the £80 per ton mark, clean aloy is around £300 and copper is £3k, we weigh cars in now and again and on average the fetch us around £90, but a xantia made us £105, :D

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
think mixed metals atm is around the £80 per ton mark, clean aloy is around £300 and copper is £3k, we weigh cars in now and again and on average the fetch us around £90, but a xantia made us £105, :D
Mmmm dunno if it will accumulate to a ton mind... The angle is all clean single iron so maby get a bit more? I'll sort out at weekend and see what's what.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
yea i just went off basic dirty metals, you do get a considerable amount more if its clean and sorted, we had a huge pile of dirty alloy, (cylinder heads with valves etc) and a clean pile half the weight but the clean still made twice the money of the heavier pile, where is your local scrap place?, i use ward bros. on albert hill d,ton, but there is one at bishop auckland which is supposed to be far better on prices :D

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i just went off basic dirty metals, you do get a considerable amount more if its clean and sorted, we had a huge pile of dirty alloy, (cylinder heads with valves etc) and a clean pile half the weight but the clean still made twice the money of the heavier pile, where is your local scrap place?, i use ward bros. on albert hill d,ton, but there is one at bishop auckland which is supposed to be far better on prices :D
Aye my first thought was Ward's but have heard some good things about the guys in Bish.

The 10m length of angle weighs a fair bit, coupled with the other 50mm / 50mm angle, may be worth it afterall.

Are they really anal about welds etc? The tailor I have is basically a frame I built out of angle years ago and has leave springs / tow attached... Wonder if they'd class it all as 'clean'...

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
as long as its all the same material its classed as clean, our alloy was classed as dirty as it had valves in the head, if you have just steel i cant see it being a problem,

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as long as its all the same material its classed as clean, our alloy was classed as dirty as it had valves in the head, if you have just steel i cant see it being a problem,
Cool, I'll sort it at the weekend and see what I got :smthumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts