Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, looking for some advice. Bog standard E4, ~40000m, serviced (usual tappet rattle, noisy AYC before oil changes(always a good reminder of an up and coming service !)), but lately, when starting from cold, at the point where it catches, it emits a short 'squeak'. After that, fine. Runs ok, no power loss, perfect. Heat it up for a couple of mins, try the start again and silence. If you start it, then stop it after maybe 30 secs and try again, then the squeaks there but disappears after a few more attempts. Seems to be worse when its 'cold' outside.

Any idea's ?, I thought it was originally the pump/alternator drive belt but can't quite pin it down to that.

B.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Prime culprit 4 that has 2 b the fan belt , try a start up with a large electrical load to c if it's worse.
How old is the belt , does it feel slack ?

If it really isn't that , I wud b looking at starter motor engagement mechanism possibly.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
As Evoboy says (as usual ;))
Your prime suspect, as you have realised, has to be the alternator belt.
Try spraying some WD....sorry water (;) to Evoboy) on the belt and see if it makes any difference. If the squeak goes its the belt. It is probably starting to lose is suppleness like we all do in old age. I assume it is the original belt? (I thinks it's changed with the cam belt at 45k mile service but I can't remember off hand).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts