Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Durgo
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

As the title suggests my E6 is giving me starting problems. A month ago it started playing up. All the lights came on as normal and when I turned the key nothing happened. Kept trying periodically then it would just start. The battery was changed 2 months ago so its not that. I was told to WD40 all the electrical plugs which I did. So whether it was that or just coincidence I have not had the problem since.....until today.

I took it out yesterday and it started first time as normal. Today it wouldn't start. All I get is a quiet whineing tone which sounds like the windscreen pump (but isn't). I am told it is the fuel pump priming. I bump started it and it ran fine. As soon as I try and re-start its a no go.

Any clues as to what to check first and in what order would be much appreciated. My brother suggests it could be the relay as there is no clicking sound when I try and turn it over.

Please help someone who doesn't know a lot about what goes on under the bonnet.

Thanks for any help.

Dan

·
Registered
827 Posts
Might be the starter motor sticking mine does it. When it does it go underneath and tap the starter with a bar while someone turns it over if it starts you know it’s that

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Hi Guys,

As the title suggests my E6 is giving me starting problems. A month ago it started playing up. All the lights came on as normal and when I turned the key nothing happened. Kept trying periodically then it would just start. The battery was changed 2 months ago so its not that. I was told to WD40 all the electrical plugs which I did. So whether it was that or just coincidence I have not had the problem since.....until today.

I took it out yesterday and it started first time as normal. Today it wouldn't start. All I get is a quiet whineing tone which sounds like the windscreen pump (but isn't). I am told it is the fuel pump priming. I bump started it and it ran fine. As soon as I try and re-start its a no go.

Any clues as to what to check first and in what order would be much appreciated. My brother suggests it could be the relay as there is no clicking sound when I try and turn it over.

Please help someone who doesn't know a lot about what goes on under the bonnet.

Thanks for any help.

Dan
No way that is the same as mine... would start then would't then it wouldt start at all no clicking as well!!... use to bump fine, i'v got mine off and was going take it be striped and have a overhaul.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
checks the leads to the starter motor solenoid and makes sure the battery leads are also tight ??? Easy quick job - if it bump starts OK sounds like could be a starter issue

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
checks the leads to the starter motor solenoid and makes sure the battery leads are also tight ??? Easy quick job - if it bump starts OK sounds like could be a starter issue
Yeah thats what i thought as it got worse checked all leads to and from battery along with earths.. some times if i changed gear with it been still it would start like it was getting stuck:confused:
Its off now anyway so should be all good after a overhall on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts