Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose anyone know why my starter motor would play up when I've got a warm engine. In the morning when I start my car it starts without any problems. But halfway to work if if stop off and get a coffee when I try start the car again it seems to make a lot of strange noises and don't start immediately. This only happens on hot starts though??? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It only happens once the engine has warmed up a bit and it sounds like.... Umm, an old lady falling down the stairs with her zimmer frame lol no seriously it has that sound of the starter spinning followed by a few clunk's before it fires up. I would normally say the starter is on its last legs but why would it fire up first time ( when the engine is cold) without any problems what's so ever? I have an extremely long list of parts I've had to change since I've got the car back in February the previous owner obviously didn't look after the car should I just get a new starter or is there a more sinister problem going on?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What strange noises? Does it do this everytime you try start when its warm?

is it a case of not turning the engine over, or turning it, but not firing, or turning slowly

Stu
It could be trying to turn slowly. But ye 8 out of 10 times warm start ups has this problem

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
I'd be surprised if it were the battery? Worthwhile checking to see what the voltage drops to when actually cranking.
I had this happen and in my case it was just down to crap/ oil/ grease on the solenoid connection at the motor. Pop the plug off and clean it with brake cleaner, etc and see how it goes.
Also check the main earths- inc the starter motor bolts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd be surprised if it were the battery? Worthwhile checking to see what the voltage drops to when actually cranking.
I had this happen and in my case it was just down to crap/ oil/ grease on the solenoid connection at the motor. Pop the plug off and clean it with brake cleaner, etc and see how it goes.
Also check the main earths- inc the starter motor bolts.
Didn't think of looking at the plugs, I know it's all clean on the outside. I'll get the car up in the air on Monday and give it a try and inspect the bolts too

·
Twincharged
4,579 Posts
The starter sounds like it's ready to fail. When it's hot tolerances will change and it could easily be at the point where it's showing up only when hot.

I wouldn't mess around with it, get another starter and try it. If the solenoid isn't kicking out properly, or if the bush and bearings are worn it could damage the starter ring on the flywheel and then it's a much bigger job.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I cleaned out my starter motor stripped it down and cleaned the crap out and regreased the mechanism, i used to get a screetch after starting and i thought this would fix it in the end i just needed 2 washers to create a small gap between flywheel and starter but regreasing and cleaning it out made the starter much more smoother and car started quicker but if your brushes are worn they would need to be replaced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts