Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For quite some time now I have been whining and complaining to anyone who will listen that the top mounts fitted to my E5GSR are poor. I have changed several sets. I have tried the standard ones and those supplied by RalliArt. One technician told me that he finds it strange that I am having such high failure. He offered that a set of the RalliArt mounts should last a season of hard racing. Here is what I have recently found.

After installing yet another set of mounts but three weeks prior, they were beginning to knock. Took them off the car and decided to look carefully. It appeared that there was very little lubricant at the bearing itself. The grease seemed to have been displaced. Pried out the plastic cage and packed the balls to one side of the race. Snapped the race out and removed the balls (seven). Washed the bits and examined them. No pitting, no obvious wear. Re packed it all with some high quality wheel bearing grease and put it back together. The bearing felt much tighter and rotated smoothly. I installed the rebuilt mounts and voila, the knocking noise is gone. It remains to be seen whether this is a long term solution but it does seem promising.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who thinks that they have, or have had, this same problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think sounds from topmounts/suspension parts are quite normal and nothing to worry about. At first I was nervous about them, but then they just seemed to come and go. This was with my standard suspension and after I fitted the Proflex one, noises have increased, but that's due to the shocks themselves making more noise; ride is still more comfortable, though. If the noises are really bad, you should have them checked out of course, but don't forget that it's not a S-Class your driving.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Valid point Michael.

If the noises however are avoidable or controllable, I find them difficult to accept!

On a smooth road it’s no big deal having the occasional clonk or knock. On the washboard some of us find ourselves on occasionally it is quite irritating. If the noise is the result of Mitsubishi using less capable grease in their bearings it borders on pathetic.

I think that many people find this noise objectionable but have just given up! I recall from an earlier thread that it was assumed that a similar noise was the strut. The process of replacing the strut may have repositioned the bearing in the mount temporarily solving the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive fitted an suspension package from Australia and ever since the top mount have been whinning. Does nayone know if Co-ordsport do an uprated set for an Evo 1.Had a strut brace fitted and Ive had to take it off cause it was pushing the bonnet up. Since then the noise has got worse.
I understand what Micheal said but its getting to become constant when im doing between 10-30mph around town over small bumps, higher speed and larger bumps dont make a noise.Is this the same for everyone?
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok,

The standard top mounts are cr#p! http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > I now have pillow ball mounts installed and the annoying clonking sounds I have had to put up with are gone! [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > The constructions of the new mounts are far superior to the stock junk and I am sure they will far outlast my ownership of the car.

Michael K,

Change them it doesn't have to be like that!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had enough now as the nosie is getting worse and worse, new top mpunts made now difference, but they where standard ones. Getting new brushes see if this makes a difference, if not a baseball bat will be used to thrash the car until it stops making is stupid noises.
If new brushes or swing arm make no difference uprated top mounts will have to come in to play.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Al, I've just fitted adjustable pilow-ball mounts to my E1. So far no noises (Only about 60 miles on normal UK roads)
Is it definatly the mounts and not something else ? Whilst fitting mine I noticed there is less clearence between the back of the strut housing and the bodywork. This may get worse as more camber is wound on and/or the strut goes into droop.
I know your car is a bit lower than mine http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > but at normal ride height can you reach over the tyre and feel the spring and strut. Then, can you get your hands/fingers behind the strut ?
Can you pop the wheel off and see if there are any marks on the body behind the strut/spring to see if it is rubbing ?

Anyway, good luck. I'll listen out for any odd sounds on mine (another one [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > )
Cheerio.

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tony,
Where did you get them from and how much did they cost, cause i want to use the car on the track but i dont want to do this until i have everything sorted.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
he he, sorry Al. I can't help you there, I got them from that well known Evo emporium - Trevor Mudd's shed http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
Can't help you on sourcing new ones, The only ones I could find where the Japanese Cusco ones - Which is what Trevor had lurking around. They sell the Cusco stuff at quite a few of the Evo tuners - it may be that they would fit yours - not sure [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for the info will have a look around.
Tony,
Had a look but carnt see it touch the body work, hopefully brishes wil go on at the weekend.
Cheers
Al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts