Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of adding a boost controller (greddy profec) to my car, it's fairly standard apart from a cat back exhaust, HKS mushroom filter & BOV, it did have a new fuel pump a little while back but unsure if it's standard or uprated (can check). Not looking for uber power, just a tad more than the .8 bar it runs at the mo, it's an E5 so is it safe at 1.1 bar if I can get it to hold & not spike over 1.2 ?
It feels like i have really lazy boost at the mo, don't get me wrong the car goes well enough, it's just not as punchy as my mates E5 & the only diff he has is a decat as far as I know.
I took the actuator off today & it was loose on the poppet valve, a couple of turns & this was sorted + I put a little wd in where the rod goes & freed it up a bit, still felt the same driving though & it holds boost well enough, I thought I'd try it with the pipe pulled off the standard boost control solonoid (I was watching for 1.2 as I didn't want to hit the cut) & it will peak to around 1.2 & drop to 1ish which is all I want out of the car anyway (but I assume this isn't a good thing to do running with the pipe off or everyone would do it, lol, hence asking about the controller.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thinking of adding a boost controller (greddy profec) to my car, it's fairly standard apart from a cat back exhaust, HKS mushroom filter & BOV, it did have a new fuel pump a little while back but unsure if it's standard or uprated (can check). Not looking for uber power, just a tad more than the .8 bar it runs at the mo, it's an E5 so is it safe at 1.1 bar if I can get it to hold & not spike over 1.2 ?
It feels like i have really lazy boost at the mo, don't get me wrong the car goes well enough, it's just not as punchy as my mates E5 & the only diff he has is a decat as far as I know.
I took the actuator off today & it was loose on the poppet valve, a couple of turns & this was sorted + I put a little wd in where the rod goes & freed it up a bit, still felt the same driving though & it holds boost well enough, I thought I'd try it with the pipe pulled off the standard boost control solonoid (I was watching for 1.2 as I didn't want to hit the cut) & it will peak to around 1.2 & drop to 1ish which is all I want out of the car anyway (but I assume this isn't a good thing to do running with the pipe off or everyone would do it, lol, hence asking about the controller.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve

Something's up! with the pipe off the actuator, assuming the pre load is set anywhere near, you should have a whole stack of boost. Fitting a controller won't help in that circumstance. You may need to pull the elbow off, and check the condition of the poppet valve seat. Alternatively, check your dump valve for condition. Most other air leaks would result in poor running, due to incorrect load sensing from the maf sensor.

Alan

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm wondering if it has a crack around the wastegate or if the poppet is loose, Elbow looks a bit of a PITA to remove by the looks of it, well the heatshield at least anyway (without removing rad etc) :(

So with the pipe off that runs from the comp housing & actuator to T piece & then onto the standard boost control it should run over 1.2 bar then?

May also explain the slightly lazy boost & 250bhp output on the rollers (previous owner) I was kinda hoping for the actuator to be the prob TBH..lol Still a pain to remove but doable with everything still in situ..
Thanks for the advice .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts