Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading alot of threads about the standard Ecu,is it not possible at all to map it,even if some one were to lay there hands on a Mut11.
Or is that the Ecu is non programable ,but then with a mut settings can be reprogrammed.
So could some one actually define the reason why the standard ecu cannot be reprogrammed ?
just seems a little backward to be able to adjust code diagnostics and not tune from it.
Are the ecu's a sealed unit?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The ECU can be reprogrammed. Power Engineering are the only ones in Europe who are able to do it. The Ralliart Sports ECU is just a reprogrammed standard one. I think Bozz Speed can reprogram them in Japan too. Mine has been reprogrammed by them - both with standard off-the-shelf maps and custom maps.

It is quite common for manufacturers to make it very hard, if not impossible, to chip cars these days. Most ECUS feature an Eprom which can be reprogrammed, provided you can hack how the ECU works. Superchips do this all the time! For some reason, the EVO ECU is very hard to crack, but it is crackable.

Some cars (the Jaguar XKR for example, with it's Nippondenso ECU) have read-only programs surface mounted - so no way to change them.

Fuel controllers, such as the AVC-R simply interfere with the signals that the standard ECU is sending out (they are in effect performing some of the ECU functions).
PE and Ralliart ECUs are reprogrammed standard ECUs.
Motec, Gems etc are replacement ECUS supplied with programming, and lots of additional capabilities (data-logging, MAP sensor capability etc.) - these are more relevant to competition cars where fine control over everything could mean the difference between a win or a loss. They may also need the ability to remap the car for different events, gear set-ups etc. The also have added features such as ALS.

Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blade

Do you know if the PE remap is a direct remap of the ECU itself or does it involve the addition of a new chip within the ECU. I thought it was the latter.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,

Im not so sure. I went there a couple of months ago and was talking to them about their remap and I'm sure they said an additional chip is installed inside the ECU, making virtually undetectable. If so it makes me think that what they are doing is 'fooling' the standard ECU with what it is receiving. I'll check it with PE.

Blade is your car still using the original ECU?

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may be right Dave, I never bothered to check. Still using the standard ECU. Whether I continue depends on the remap they are currently doing. If I still don't like the figures, then off it comes!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL that's not really undetectable if you open the ECU and see some strange chip welded on it there...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this site includes info and kit to reprogram the standard ecu, yes the one in the e6

http://lillith.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/~kashima/car/evo/

unless you are a computer wiz however their is a simpler way if u want to make your car go fast:

i did the following
-bought a programable ecu for 500 pounds (with boost control, closed loop knock, map sense, datalog and conservative map)
-altered the map myself and posted info about this (including the map) on my website

why would you bother with the standard ecu (or an overpriced motec with their overpriced 'mappers' for that matter...) ???

andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Claudius

Not sure PE do call it undetectable, they've always described it as 'virtually undetectable' to me.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why don't they talk about the Evo 4 .No one talks about the Evo 4.
If the Evo is such an overfueling machine then this can be altered through the Ecu and not have a piggy back or an attatchment to alter the fuelmapping .
Ok for ralliart warrenty don't want it detected .But all us older Evos who want something done surely some one has cracked the ecu and can just programme it for extra performance.I would lend some one my car as a donour car if I wasn't charged much money.
I don't think I could be bothered piddling about with loads of adjustment as I just want to drive the car.
Blade ,
Ralliart or who ever know how to reprogramme the Ecu if they are selling reprogrammed Ecu's.
So why don't they sell the maps by franchise.and we can all benifit.
Why don't they offer a price to reprogramme the E4 ecu.?
Seems a little selfish to me .
PE do not any where on their site say they can do the remap for the Evo 4 its all 5/6.
I know that the E4 ecu doesn't have the memory capacity that the newer ones have ,but there must be adjustment to get it set where it is currently.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paul s

I completely support what u said here about evo 4, I have been reading many turners pages about remapping ecu's but all the companys only reguards to evo 5 and 6 and had nothing said about the evo 4, does this mean that the so call top tunners like power engineering can only re-map evo5 and 6 ecus and cant do evo 4s, also as for ralliart they are selling sport ecus just for the evo 5 and 6. The piggy back stuff looks cool but inorder to get it to work like an re program ecu, u will need to get an ignition controller, an fuel controller and an boost controller, but as I have read from PE page itself it doesnt even work as well as an re-map or sport ecu, also buying all them will cost alot as well as there is too many gadgets in the car which is waste of space and eye catching to thiefs not to mention that all the piggy back stuff takes time to set up and has a higher risk in damaging the engine by inexperience users or its mates up messes around with it while u r not looking.

leon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Leon,

I guess we are the same as the E1/2/3 sent to the bottom of the evolutionary ladder ,once we had the greatest rally cars in the world now having to move over for the next generation which have been manufactured in larger quantities.
The trouble is The Evo really made its name with the E4. We are forgotten about now :(
No matter what site I visit there is not alot of info on theE4 .I have tried the japanese sites but translation is a problem .
the American sites are food for info on the turbos ,but they don't have any Evo's.
Austrailian sites are pretty good .
How ever one reason that I would not buy another Evo would be for the lack of close support from those that know the cars .
At the moment this is not an issue ,but gradually getting p!ssed with the lack of suitable knowledgable people to talk face to face with ,about what can or cannot be done to the car. and for them to actually demonstrate the products and point at the bits that can be upgradded.
Perhaps I am asking to much.?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The PE reprogram is based on swapping one eprom of the standard ECU
with another preprogrammed eprom. It definetely involves swapping the
chips from the original ECU (this is how they did it last time I visited PE
about 2 months ago).

Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For all you EVO4 owners wanting to tune your cars,there is only one person to speak to and that is Dave Perry of DP MOTORSPORT in Warrington.He is a member of the MLR and owns his own EVO4.I have spoken to him a few times on the phone and he is a top bloke who really knows his stuff.They have their own website and it really is worth a look .Hope this helpsyou out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For all you EVO4 owners wanting to tune your cars,there is only one person to speak to and that is Dave Perry of DP MOTORSPORT in Warrington.He is a member of the MLR and owns his own EVO4.I have spoken to him a few times on the phone and he is a top bloke who really knows his stuff.They have their own website and it really is worth a look .Hope this helpsyou out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been reading some japanese sites and I have found boss speed is doing one for the evo 4 but the thing is u have to send ur ecu to Japanese inorder for them to do it. but from the spec I see compare to the standard evo4, there isnt that much different, just abit better.will cost around £800. I still cant believe people is leaving evo4 out as an old car :( , ok its not as mass produce as the 5 and 6 but at the end of the day is still a very very good car. so please people dont look down on the evo 4 as an out of date car that waits to be crushed in the scrappy, cuz it can still beat most cars on the road and not far off compared to an evo 5 and 6 or even 7.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if you can get in touch with someone who can chip or clone mobiles it would take them less than an hour to tell you all you need to know about the ecu

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.