Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
goin to santa pod on sunday, had a bit of a practice start yesterday. not very successful and the clutch stank like a bitch. Its a bog standard 6 gsr. how much punishment will this take? will i be limping home from the pod after 1 run on sunday. or any tips on getting away quickly with minimal clutch damage. should I rev the car and just dump the clutch? HELP please don't wanna look a dick.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Clutch in at 4,500. When the clutch comes and revs go down to 4,000 drop it and accelerate fully.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The standard clutch is really not built for dragstrip starts, and it's all too easy to completely fry it after a few overly aggressive runs. If you're smelling burnt clutch lining, you may be halfway to needing a new clutch already. |EQU|(

Multi-plate clutches can be quite expensive, but can handle the power much better. I know some Evo owners who drag-race modified Evo's (quarter mile ET's in the mid 11's to low 12's) using twinplate full-face clutches (i.e., not paddle-type), and the clutches hold up well. They say the standard clutch would be absolutely [email protected] otherwise.

I'd get a multi-plate unit myself, but don't have the dosh just now! |EQU|(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rob

I remember claims on this site a year or so ago that a standard clutch would only take about 10 serious standing starts http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > While the standard clutch is not that strong and will easily slip, I wouldn't be surprised if Mitsubishi designed it like that. If the clutch takes all the strain then the whole drivetrain is stressed a lot more.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can confirm....It only takes about 10-15 good launches to fry the clutch. I'm speaking from experience...although I have fitted a new standard clutch as I could not hack the twin-plate on a day to day basis.

...John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a clutch available which is stronger than standard but remains useable for day to day use ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HKS does 2 twin plate clutchs for the Evo but both are very expensive, Both are usable on normal road use as they use a push rod methed to help cluth engagement. They also do a new clutch which has a little set of springs between the plates so one engages first then millseconds later the 2nd plate engages, very trick and very smooth. I only have the bog standard one but it is usable on the road and it is great for 1/4 mile runs I have spun all four wheels every single blast I have done. Some sub 13 secs. With all twin plate clutchs you will have to use slightly more revs than normal, say 500 revs more.

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the standard clutch cannot handle really aggressive launches, but with practice you should find a technique that gives you a good standing start without burning the clutch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
evojkp,

I'm interested that you found the twin plate clutch unacceptable for normal road use. In most of the books I have read they seem to say that twin plates are almost as smooth as normal. I'm not having a dig here as I've never tried one and want to know more of people experiences with 'em.

BTW why are you people drag racing an evo? I know its quick of the mark but it seems to be missing the point of what the evo is about i.e going round corners? For the same sort of money as an evo you could get a serious drag car that would probably last a lot longer. Admittedly it wouldn't go round corners but thats not a problem on the strip.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oli,

I drove a friends car with the twin plate and found that if you didn't get it right on taking away, the dashboard nearly vibrates of its mounts. It probably would be okay once you got used to it, but that put me off.

The HKS unit appealed to me but at the time I could not afford it.

I also agree that it is a poor drag racing car, but when these events happens, you cant help yourself. I bought mine after owning a Scooby, wanting to take the backroads eperience that little bit further.

...John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok here goes how deep are your pockets.

I paid £1250|PLS|vat plus £32.50 |PLS|vat for the modified pushrod to make the clutch more usable on the road. The plates are full circumferance so no paddles :). Total price fitted was about £1750 :( and that was with a cheap deal on fitting. it took about 250miles of running in but is now very usable on the road. This clutch is rated upto 450 Bhp for you power frecks out there.

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Cusco twin plate paddle clutch and lightened flywheel are hydraulic, which takes getting used to, but gives you a nice, lightweight engagement.

Handles loads-a-power too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blade has just reminded me the HKS clutchs all include a lighten flywheel.

If you destroyed your standard clutch like I did, and if you continue to run the car whith clutch slipping the flywheel almost always gets shagged. So If your clutch starts slipping then get it sorted quick otherwise you may be lumped with a bigger bill of a replacement flywheel as well.

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An alternative to dishing out loads of money on a new multi plate clutch is replacing the standard disc with something more grippy. I believe the AP discs are very good value for money.
If you are looking in getting very good high quality products try Ogura Clutches. They have loads of experience in this field and make the best in the world. They even make them for loads of maufactures and racing teams.
An alternative that is beginning to become more common/available is a carbon clutch. As you can imagine these are still very expensive but provide very high torque rating(....yes torque is how you know if a clutch can hold it together....not bloody power!!). They are available in complete clutch systems with mated flywheels or just carbon replacement discs for the standard items. I don't remember the make but if anyone is interested I can find more out.
One more thing....the only reason Mitsubishi fitted a clutch that tends to slip in critically harsh situations is to protect the other, and more expensive, components of the drivetrain. All the excess torque that would present a problem to say the gearbox or transfer box is smoked out through the clutch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A twin ceramic disc clutch which is manufactured by Daikin comes with a clutch cover and flywheel will be able to assist you in getting the results you are hoping to achieve.Torque capacity is significantly increased and durability is not of great concern.It is an expensive clutch pack costing you near to $2000(U.K.).The clamp force can be adjusted to two different settings allowing you to choose which setting is better suited for you.The feel of it is near standard but it comes in a bit quicker and you also get a lot of clamping force so expect to see a faster time on the 1/4 mile by 2/10 of a second if done properly.I use the clutch in my Evo5 GSR and I am quite pleased with the results.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Oki

MAXI has the AP thing on his clutch, it's the same as std.

Of course a better clutch will put more strain on drivetrain and transmission, but I consider these to be parts that need upgrading anyway. Do you know of reinforced transmission elements in Japan? I have been looking through the Hyper Rev catalog, but as I dont understand japanese, I dont know. thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi
Well obviously if you are prepared to spend money then the possibilities are infinite:)
OS Giken can rebuild your gearbox with reinforced straight cut internals. You can choose the ratios for each gear and select a final input shaft to match your needs. I'm sure there are sequential 'boxes available but you will be looking at serious money.
What kind of use are you looking at?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Helix clutches are what a lot of the rally boys use.
They are advertised nearly every week in Motorsport News (was Motoring News) which is out every Wednesday.

I think they are only a couple of hundred quid.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Oki

I can get a GrN gearbox with straight cut internals no pb, someone I know makes them. But I mean the rest of the transmission elements, dont know the English words, but I guess you know what I mean, all that's in between the gearbox and the hubs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.