Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
From my understanding I didn't think that anyone has been able to crack the SST TCU firmware yet so all people can do is switch between the various versions that Mitsu have released already.

There are however tables in the ECU that can affect some behaviour related to the transmission and I'd imagine any Evo X tuner in the UK would be able to manipulate those.

·
Premium Member
22,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my understanding I didn't think that anyone has been able to crack the SST TCU firmware yet so all people can do is switch between the various versions that Mitsu have released already.

There are however tables in the ECU that can affect some behaviour related to the transmission and I'd imagine any Evo X tuner in the UK would be able to manipulate those.
thanks, that was what I thought was possible. It will be interesting to see what can be gained once the tcu is cracked

Stu

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
cheers, so what does that actually mean :blush: Is it at a point where gains can be gained?

Stu
As I understand it, it means the security in place to protect the information within the TCU has been cracked, it can be extracted, modified and re-flashed back on. The problem is defining the tables, what they are, what they do, how they interact with each other, what effect modifying them has.
From memory this happened around the start of 2016. I've had a sabbatical from Evo stuff for a while so I couldn't tell you what stage it's at, but at that time there were only a few people involved.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Looking at the progress thread on the evoxforums the answer is not much has changed since the encryption was broken. "Cracked" was a poor choice of words in my original message above as it clearly has two different meanings especially when you are talking about encrypted firmware, but I was using it in the general context meaning they haven't figured it out yet in terms of doing targeted custom maps.

Basically right now TCU mapping is a blind game of flipping switches and hoping that you can figure out what each value does before your transmission or even engine is potentially damaged so not many people are rushing forward to give it a try. What they really need is for someone to get the details of the file format to avoid the huge investment in time and money it's going to take to work them all out, however that's only likely to come from a leak from someone working for Getrag or Mitsu so it's pretty unlikely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts