Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thinking out loud / curisocity thing but -

The clutches on sst, upgrade is a pretty straight forward Dodson upgrade. But I am just curious, could the clamping force on standard clutches be increased, for example with an oil pressure increase?

Obviously if you are replacing clutches as originals are worn, Dodsons are a no brainer if you are running more power, but if your standard clutches are good, could this be an option, or something along the lines of increasing their working force, especially if you just wanted to gain a little more?

Stu

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
The thing is Stu, it doesn't make any sense to drop the transmission, strip it, have the various valve block modifications done, then have the transmission rebuilt without doing the clutches if you "just want to gain a little more"
Around 2012 there were revisions done to the transmission at OEM level, a revised torque damper and a revised valve block. We all have the 2008 transmissions with the exception of the FQ440 (I don't know when these cars were built, I suspect after 2012, but wouldn't be shocked if they were stock cars that sat for a while) There may be a few cars that have had warranty work after 2012 that could have revised transmission parts.

You can tell if the transmission has the revised torque damper without stripping it apart.

The later valve bodies do not have the pressure relief valve that is present on the 2008-2011 valve bodies, these apparently leak at a rate of around 8%. Wth modification to the valve body it is possible to hit an over pressure DTC as line pressure can be increased so much. Apparently that rarely happens with the earlier as the valve leaks so much. A mod can be done to that but it is not preferred. There's a mod for the cooling flow control valve bore plug valve that can be done, also a mod to the pressure regulator valve bore plug to sort leaks there.
I'm just regurgitating what's been said by someone with extensive knowledge and experience with these transmissions. I'm sure one of the traders on here can fill you in on what they can do regarding the valve body issues and increasing line pressure, there's a few now who state they have experience with these boxes, give one a call and speak to them or I suppose they can post up what they can do.

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing is Stu, it doesn't make any sense to drop the transmission, strip it, have the various valve block modifications done, then have the transmission rebuilt without doing the clutches if you "just want to gain a little more"
Around 2012 there were revisions done to the transmission at OEM level, a revised torque damper and a revised valve block. We all have the 2008 transmissions with the exception of the FQ440 (I don't know when these cars were built, I suspect after 2012, but wouldn't be shocked if they were stock cars that sat for a while) There may be a few cars that have had warranty work after 2012 that could have revised transmission parts.

You can tell if the transmission has the revised torque damper without stripping it apart.

The later valve bodies do not have the pressure relief valve that is present on the 2008-2011 valve bodies, these apparently leak at a rate of around 8%. Wth modification to the valve body it is possible to hit an over pressure DTC as line pressure can be increased so much. Apparently that rarely happens with the earlier as the valve leaks so much. A mod can be done to that but it is not preferred. There's a mod for the cooling flow control valve bore plug valve that can be done, also a mod to the pressure regulator valve bore plug to sort leaks there.
I'm just regurgitating what's been said by someone with extensive knowledge and experience with these transmissions. I'm sure one of the traders on here can fill you in on what they can do regarding the valve body issues and increasing line pressure, there's a few now who state they have experience with these boxes, give one a call and speak to them or I suppose they can post up what they can do.
Thankyou, very informative :smthumbup

Im not looking to do anthing like this as such, it was just a niggle in the back of my mind. Im completely undecided whether I stay with the 380 I have now, or throw a large lump of money for clutches, rods, intercooler elbow etc to get 400 -450

The X sst has been a funny car for me, all cars in the past, ive known exactly where my modding end point is, and so target and cost, and stuck to it, but this X somehow isnt that straight forward for me :lol:

Stu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts