Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Horizon chaser
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is slowly wearing me down so I have to find a solution....

In June I fitted RS29 pads and RossSport grooved discs assuring me they were the perfect combination for fast road and a lap or two round the ring. I also purchased girodisc anti squeal shims. After fitting them they squealed a lot. I went through the bedded in process and rang rosssport to confirm it was right.

It went to autotorque and they even said it was loud when it had a service. I rang rosssport and they said to go through bedded in procedure again which I did and this was after 1200miles and 4 laps of the ring. Still squealing. It was dry today and decided to take it out and it was deafening and embarrassing. It only does it when they are used for more than 5 mins. Rosssport have offered to change them at a cost for other ones but the RS29 is not a cheap pad!

Don't get me wrong when you stamp on them they are mighty. Just got to keep the car going straight as they stop on a postage stamp. I just can't cope with the noise and after being told they were not noisy I am a bit dissapointed.

Help!

David

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I have the exact same problem, RS29 pads with the Girodisc 2 piece discs and the titanium shims, it squeels often and is embarassing as you say, I changed the titanium shims for new oem shims and that helped a bit. Thought it might be my calipers so got some mint reconditioned ones and that hepled reduce the noise for a while. Was out tonight and the squeeling was back and loud with a vengance. Unfortunately we just have to live with it or change the pads, but I like the way they stop!

·
Horizon chaser
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the exact same problem, RS29 pads with the Girodisc 2 piece discs and the titanium shims, it squeels often and is embarassing as you say, I changed the titanium shims for new oem shims and that helped a bit. Thought it might be my calipers so got some mint reconditioned ones and that hepled reduce the noise for a while. Was out tonight and the squeeling was back and loud with a vengance. Unfortunately we just have to live with it or change the pads, but I like the way they stop!
Do have the same problem then??? I was assured they would not squeal but ho hum! Can't fault the stopping power but the noise may force me to get rid!

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Track capable pads like these will usually squeal to some degree under normal road usage, many factors can influence it though not just the pads, things like caliper condition, disc quality and condition are a big part as well as probably most important the usage car gets, if it gets a lot of gentle/street driving the pads glaze and squeal can get really loud until you get chance to hammer them again, grooved disc can help a little with this wiping pad faces but its no substitute to a good hammering down the back lanes or on track.

Other things to try and help reduce it are take pads out after a trackday for a mini service/clean them and inside of caliper out, scrape out any build up of brake debris in groove on pad if they have any, then scuff the friction faces with p40 or similar coarse emery paper etc to break up any glazing, once pads are sorted and caliper all cleaned out then refit with light grease on ends and piston contact area before giving them a quick bedding in again, they should stay quiet for awhile at least but as above if lots of gentle use squeal will usually come back.

Shims wise the Mitsubishi shims can help a little with brake noise (as long as fitted correct way around) as the triangle shape helps tip the pad slightly under light braking which can reduce noise, full cover shims dont generally do much to reduce noise as they are more for helping stop heat getting into pistons/fluid.

HTH
Ian

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
I run Carbotechs in my dailydriver and rarely have squeaky brakes,
I bought a new car yesterday and my dad drove my car back- kind of his treat for coming with me lol.
By the time we had covered the 100 miles back home, my car's brakes were squeeling with my dad at the wheel...
As you say, it's a bit embarrassing having people look around to see what old banger needs new brakes..
Only thing i can conclude is that you learn how to drive with "track pads" on the road,
Not always driving like a mad man but where possibly use the gears to slow down a little, lift and coast when driving at normal speeds and try to dab the brake pedal rather than softly braking for a long time..
Seems to work for me although i might offer passengers the choice between earplugs or a full hans device in the future..

·
Horizon chaser
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I don't drive it a huge amount. I will try and adapt my driving style to suit the brakes. They are more than up to the job. Although round the ring thy were smoking.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Mintex ceratec, solved my squeal

·
Registered
711 Posts
Very happy with girodisc magic pads and grooved discs, just fitted 2 days ago only done 10 miles on them no squeal what so ever. Im not sure they are track capable but fast road no problem, they do sell a track version message ross about them.

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
I had new Godspeed G-hook design disks, refurbed brembo calipers, and new Performance Friction 11.Z-rated pads (fast road) fitted at the end of October. The written advice/instructions from Ian Godney were NOT to hammer the brakes for 300 miles so that the disks could be chemically cured. So I have been driving around normally (like its my daily) on mixed roads for 100 miles until then. When it says to burnish them by doing the 'good old 70-20' without stopping method. No squealing so far, so good. Be interesting to see how they perform once they have been subjected to the above.

I read that if money is no object the best pads you can get are Endless MX72 ones (for road use) that I think Eight Speed, C1-R and others sell. But you are talking £400+ for a set of pads.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
i had this issue when i bought my evo, when braking it would squeal very loud.

-i removed all pads, chamfered the edges with a file
-used special pad grease on the back of every pad
-lightly scored all disks with a wire wheel at the end of a cordless drill to create light lines on the disk, this helps embed the pads in

my squeal is gone but sometimes comes when lightly braking in traffic

·
Simon - EVO V
1,802 Posts
Very happy with girodisc magic pads and grooved discs, just fitted 2 days ago only done 10 miles on them no squeal what so ever. Im not sure they are track capable but fast road no problem, they do sell a track version message ross about them.
x2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts