Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have entered the Scottish sprint championship this year and I will also be competing in selected hillclimb events.
I am looking for a set of road legal sticky tyres and I thought you guys will probably know whats best for the car.
I need them to be good in the dry and the wet as in the wet I will probably be able to get the power down better than some of the more lightweight and powerfull cars!
Any info much appretiated. ;)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I assume you'll need tyres from the 1A list in the Blue Book.

Semi slicks (list 1B) may be allowed according to the rules of your particular championship however.

If you're stuck with 1A tyres then a lot of the guys in MSA sprinting are getting great results from Toyo T1-R s. They get them buffed down to 4 mm of tread for better stability.

Toyo R888 are really good from list 1B. Very quick warm up.

Knoxville used T1 -R to win the MLR Haynes Sprint. :cool:

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi Callum,

Just to add to Norm's comments which I agree with, another option in the 1a list is the AVS sport, I ran these last year all season and won both the NSCC and Midland speed class 1c champs, also took several lap records.

Also worth noting that this was on 18" rims so running a lower profile tyre, tends to give a stiffer tyre wall which helps.

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Jeff

I dont like the Yoko AVS sports tbh, tend to wash out when turning in (understeer) perhaps my tyre pressure/geometry is out :confused:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Jono,

It's most likely your geometry. Don't trust the average laser setup outfits, most of them don't know how to use the kit.

What setup are you running?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Geometry is extremely important, just by tweaking a degree here and there you can actually dial out understeering properties, but at the end of the day you need to enter a corner correctly or else you get understeer whatever tyre or car you drive ;) :D

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
T Makinnen said:
If you don't have a track handy to test your geometry, how do you go about set up?
Make an appointment with someone like ADR Motorsport, Arnside Motorsport or BTR. These guys will be able to adjust your geom as required to the best of their extensive knowledge, which will more than likely be more than good enough for 95% of the EVO population :D

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Jeff
I dont go hammering into corners anymore as ive learnt the hard way as a result :eek: :D so i try and get the correct line and speed now. :cool:

Was considering taking it to Promax next week to get them to sort it out for me. Ive got a feeling my top mounts are knackered + the steering feels slightly loose now aswell :cry:

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Evo Too said:
Jono,

It's most likely your geometry. Don't trust the average laser setup outfits, most of them don't know how to use the kit.

What setup are you running?

Cheers
Hi norm
What is the best set up for my car,and were in the cardiff area can you get the car set up.
Thanks Andrew

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
sarge said:
Hi norm
What is the best set up for my car,and were in the cardiff area can you get the car set up.
Thanks Andrew
Hi Andrew, I'm not really qualified to answer about what is the "best" setup as I'm still experimenting. It is also dependant on tyres and personal preference/driving style. Also on whether you do big motorway mileage, in which case you shouldn't go too aggressive on camber angles.A good start point is possibly 1.5 deg neg on front and 1.0 deg neg on rear and 1 mm toe in on each wheel. I'm currently using 2.5 neg (F) and 1.5 neg (R) with wheels parallel. It works fine on track, but I'm going to try a bit of toe in all round next.

You can try Simpson Motorsport near Chepstow - I've heard good things about them. They use the old fashioned method with fishing line etc. That appeals to me more than some muppet using an uncalibrated laser equipment. I think I'll go there next time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts