Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested i getting a sports cat for my 8mr 320 but all the ones i find are 3inch whereas the stock HKS system on mine is 2.75inches.I have read that if i fit the 3inch cat the airflow through the exhaust will be affected but will this outway any gains otherwise expected?The only other option is to try and source a FQ400/FQ360 sports cat as i assume they use the HKS Super-Dragger too and are 2.75 inch but i think that will be a tough ask.

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
Can I tag on a request for relative performance differences between a standard cat, sports cat and decat for a car running at around 320 bhp?

Just interested as mine currently has the cat, but I have a decat pipe waiting to go on (think it is 3" though and mine is also the HKS super dragger system) and am interested in keeping the car road and insurance legal.

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
Got mine from Z1 performance. With import duty and delivery the cost was £145.

They Supply them in 2.5" and 3" sizes.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats interesting, are these designed for the US market ie are there emissions targets different?What cell rating is it?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
grayw that looks a nice deal.

I presently have 3" downpipe and decat with HKS catback. So there is a step from 3" to 2.5". I switched from my 3" catback because it was too noisy. I've been waiting for a resonated 3" decat for some time and I don't know if there are further supply problems.

However, Buschur did some testing that showed little difference between 2.5" and 3" downpipes on a tuned stock turbo Evo, so I could get that same 2.5" sports cat as you to fit and otherwise just run the stock FQ system including the 2.5" downpipe. Maybe I'll lose 10 BHP all in compared with the full 3" decat, but the noise should be much better.

riche, the stock FQ system when I measured it was about 2.5" downpipe and cat, 2.5" flange joining to the catback which soon increased to 2.75", it then tapers to 2.5" just exiting into the muffler. So the bottom line is you really want a 2.5" bore (at the flanges at both ends) sports cat or decat or resonated decat to fit the stock FQ system.

My dealer told me the FQ360/400 cat is about £600.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I've been looking at getting a sports cat myself as it seems those nice people from VOSA are pulling evo drivers over more and more.And they can fine you big bucks. :cry: The ones i've been looking at is the Aps sports cat WRC technolgies are selling for about £176, Don't know if thats with vat or not. The other is the magnex one EVO 400 is selling for £200 + vat. Not a bad price. :smthumbup My local mitsi dealer quoted me £600 a while back :hammerhea which is the same price as the apexi sports cat that indigoGt are selling. From what i've been told they all will restrict bhp to some degree, even the mitsi one but at least you'll be safe if you get pulled over and can say you're "environmentally friendly" to the missus.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
johnbanks said:
grayw that looks a nice deal.

I presently have 3" downpipe and decat with HKS catback. So there is a step from 3" to 2.5". I switched from my 3" catback because it was too noisy. I've been waiting for a resonated 3" decat for some time and I don't know if there are further supply problems.

However, Buschur did some testing that showed little difference between 2.5" and 3" downpipes on a tuned stock turbo Evo, so I could get that same 2.5" sports cat as you to fit and otherwise just run the stock FQ system including the 2.5" downpipe. Maybe I'll lose 10 BHP all in compared with the full 3" decat, but the noise should be much better.

riche, the stock FQ system when I measured it was about 2.5" downpipe and cat, 2.5" flange joining to the catback which soon increased to 2.75", it then tapers to 2.5" just exiting into the muffler. So the bottom line is you really want a 2.5" bore (at the flanges at both ends) sports cat or decat or resonated decat to fit the stock FQ system.

My dealer told me the FQ360/400 cat is about £600.
I should really get a 2.5" decat and put an end to it :p

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
Mine is mated to a Magnex system, this has a rotatable centre section to allow for flange angle adjustment on the 260. This may be why I did not have any issues fitting mine.

They also list one for the IX, anybody know if the US spec IX has a different downpipe from JDM?

Sorry about the image quality, taken in the rain and dark.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
grayw said:
Got mine from Z1 performance. With import duty and delivery the cost was £145.

They Supply them in 2.5" and 3" sizes.
It seems that there is a doubt know if these will fit a standard UK car as they were designed for the US evos and there exhaust systems may be different.Anyone know if this is the case?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Do you still get some of that magnificent roar, when fitting a sports cat?.Maybe not to the extent of a de-cat, but would be nice to have a little of it.Regards, SIMON. :)

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
i run a tsl turbo back with a 100 cell sport cat.the system is the older 2 5/8 internal bore with 100 cell sport cat.the sport cat is a 3" that i had reflanged to fit the system.car recently did 320 atw at racingline.the smaller bore and the sportcat are not as much restriction as most think.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This earlier post mentioning the US high flow cat just makes it even more confusing regarding the issue of whether these will fit our cars, Link Hopefully somebody can give the defining answer soon and i can get one ordered. :confused:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reply in answer to the question as to whether these will fit uk 8,s

Hi Rich,

If they are the same as the USDM Evo 8 MR, they will fit. I am not 100%
positive about the UK version. I imagine they are the same.

Darryl

--------------------------
Ultimate Racing
20 Cosentino Drive
Toronto, ON M1P 3A2
Canada
Tel: 416-292-6446
www.ultimate-racing.com

·
Registered
19,543 Posts
If you have a Magnex fitted with rotatable centre section, it will fi no problem.

If not, you need to remove the flange at the downpipe end, rotate it and reweld it.

Pic below show the flange angle difference in the top flange, when both bottom flanges are at the same rotation.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts