Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've got the car now what the hell do I do with this spoiler, when should I adjust it, where to and for what conditions, or should I just leave it alone (seems a shame to not play with it though) I can guess that for twisty roads more downforce would be a good idea but its a bit impractical to get out and change it.

Ta
Def

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have never touched the spoiler on my E6 and to be honest there is no reason to. Just make it as flat as possible so you can see out the back and forget about it.
If you are going fast enough on the road to badly loose traction in a corner then you will be dead anyway. You usually get a tyre squealing warning first though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on what you want to gain.For normal driving around as HH6 says it does not matter where you have it.If you intend on doing track days then that is when you can start to mess around with it but again that depends on the track.Do you want less drag on the straights or more downforce on the bends?It will make a difference but I doubt you would notice on normal roads.
On E30 M3 sports evos it had an adjustable rear wing which did not look much but apparantly having it on the so called nurbergring setting would eat the rear tyres.
Has anyone gone through tyres quicker by putting more angle on the spoiler??????????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can`t make your mind up have a look at this site www.takakaira.co.jp they are selling a cockpit adjustable rear wing.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok here's another of the wall idea, what about removing the spoiler altogether, I may get flamed for this but its my least favorite part of the car anyway, how badly would it effect handling etc if I did (assuming I can)

Def

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I can tell you is that changing the wing to max downforce made a noticable difference on the Ring. In corners above 180km/h it felt more planted so on certain parts of the track I could keep my foot on the pedal where before I didn't dare. Donwside is especially on my standard Mak that at 180-200km/h the increased drag slows your acceleration.
As the wing actually reduces lift (I mentioned that already several times in other posts) and creates some downforce I would never drive over 160km/h without the wing. Just think of the Audi TT debacle. As it had a lot of lift at the rear axle it could spin in high speed when lifting as all the weight shifted the to front and the rear got even lighter. Then a sharp steering input...

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guess I'll abandon the off the wall idea then, I like to drive fast http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Def

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would leave the wing on but if you want to take the wing off then you should lower your car and add a ground hugging splitter on the front which should compensate by reducing lift. You would need some testing though to make sure it made up for the loss of the rear wing. Aerodynamics is a complicated subject and is not something that can be toyed about with in a major way, hence leave it alone. Manufacturers spend millions of pounds on aerodynamics when developing cars especially nowadays where fuel economy is more of a focus.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's right leave it to the manufacturer. If that rear spoiler has been needed on Tommi's car for the last 5 years then it's needed on mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts