Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced the following prob?

On a 200 mile motorway journey my speedo stopped working and dropped to zero. The mileometer also stopped working, I travelled 400 miles and it only counted 150 of them as occasionaly the speedo kicked back into life. Firkin weird any ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is yours a modified Jap car (i.e. KMH speedo recalibrated to MPH?) If so, there is a little box that does this, and it may be faulty (mine was).

Also, your speedo cable could be loose!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Blade, nope it's a Ralliart. I just did a search on the board and found some replies that sound very similar to mine. Is there anything I can check before I have to send it back to the garage? I'm not a petrol head so be gentle with me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SiKo,

Was it raining heavily at the time? If so its worth checking the plug from the MPH convertor where it goes into the gearbox. When I lost my speedo for a while it was either due to me washing the engine or driving in a rainstorm the previous day. Although severely reprimanded by HH6 for the former :D, I think judging by the mileometer it was the rainstorm that did it.

Darryl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree with EvoBoy, better check the speedo cable first before fiddling with more serious
stuff. It could be loose, hence behaving erraticly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a Ralliart evo6 and I had this problem. At the start the
speedo would intermittantly drop to zero, then it dropped to zero
for longer and longer until most of the time the speedo showed 0.
I hoped it would get better... I got the speedo converter replaced
under warranty although it took 8 weeks to get the part.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to post on speedos as the one in my TME is crap. At about 90 it ocassionally flicks up to about 130-180, particularly on acceleration. At higher speeds its bouncing around so much you have no idea how fast you are going.

This sounds like a diiferent problem to yours Siko as it always flicks upscale rather than down. Where should I look for the cable/converter?

I really must get the workshop manuals as lack of this type of basic info is beginning to #### me off. If i remember from a previous thread the workshop manual consists of an e4 manual with addendums for e5 and e6. Will talk to Coordsport today and order.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oli Goon,

I think your problem is not the speedo cable. There's no way it could flick upscale if the cable is loose, agree? Maybe it's your converter then!
And once you get a hold of that workshop manual, could you please tell me the price? Thanks and hope you all get your speedo problem sorted out.

Anyway, is it mandatory to change from kmh to mph in UK?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Humble,

yeah you're right. If the speedo cable was slipping it would tend to show slower speeds. Could be the cable sticking and then freeing itself, could be a faulty speedo. Will raise it with dealer when it goes in for service unless it gets worse quickly.

Have ordered the manuals from Coord sport. It comes in 3 bits. E4 manual and then supplements for E5 and another one for the E6 (TME in my case). The E4 and E5 manuals were £30 for the pair the TME manual was £75 (more expensive than the GSR manual - dunno why as i didn't think there was much difference). They have them all in stock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The convertor is the problem,I had mine changed a couple of weeks back apparantly ralliart have changed the design to stop the problem.Mine was changed through an approved ralliart dealer,took about 2 weeks to get the part and is a 5 minute job to fit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Col,

did you get this replaced under warranty? It seems to be clearly a warranty issue but I have just spoken to my local dealer who described Ralliart as being difficult on warranty issues.

Will keep you all posted as to how i get on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got mine changed under warranty but not a ralliart one.If you have a ralliart warranty then it should be no problem,the dealer who did mine said ralliart know about the problem and will change it without any problems.
Is your dealer ralliart aprroved?If they are then they should not have any problems.A ralliart mechanic should also do the work...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Col,

My TME is a UK spec one so is covered by a CCC warranty, however this basically means that you go to your nearest Ralliart approved dealer (in Yeovil in my case). They then have to get approval from Ralliart as to whether the fault will be corrected under warranty

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Siko,
If its a Ralliart car then the speedo convertor is a known problem. They originally mounted them on the bulkhead and vibration can cause them to become loose and cause the problems that you're having. The replacement that they use is mounted inline straight from the pickup point off the gearbox so make sure that you get this one when you're replacing it (assuming that the problem isn't just water ingress. Check this first). I got mine replaced under warranty without any problems.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had an intermittant speedo--was just a loose conection to theconverter box. Easy and amp; worth a check?!
Austin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have just taken my TME down to the local Mitsi dealer. They were pretty helpful but were unable to do much as the problem only occurs in excess of 90 and is best seen at 120|PLS| and they said they could not test drive vehicles in excess of the speed limit. I offered to take the mechanic out to show him but he wasn't interested. Dunno why. They did put the MUT11 on but that showed no diagnostic errors.

They also showed me where the converter is. Basically its mounted between the speed sensor on the top of the back of the gear box and the plug from the wiring loom. The 3 wires look very thin from the converter to the speed sensor and as there is no strain relief on them its not surprising that it causes problems. The trouble is its bloody difficult to get to because of all the inlet manifold pipework.

My next step is to call Ralliart as the dealer can do no more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ralliart were very helpful.

I found out i have the new type of converter. Cylinder about 1 inch long 1 inch dia which fits inline with speed sensor. Ralliart have never seen one of these fail before. so it could be the instrumnet itself, but these rarely fail apparently.

anyway local daeler is ringing CCC to get authoristaion to change converter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts