Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help - my speedo (and odometer) has packed up. It seems to have happened around the time I gave the engine a spring clean. Maybe I splashed the water around too much. I've managed to find a fuse for what looks to be the speedo in the fuse box by the pedals, but thats OK. I'm thinking it might be the gizmo that is used to convert from kph to mph. Anyone know if these have a separate fuse and where they are located? Any help/similar experiences gratefully received.
Its an Evo5 by the way - Ralliart supplied.

Thanks

Darryl.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any other gauges effected? What does the odometer display, nothing or just junk figures? Rev counter OK?

The first thing to check if you have washed off the engine would be the Vehicle Speed Sensor. It could be that it has become water logged and is shorting out or the water is causing it to give weird readings.
Open the bonnet and find the gearbox selector and shift cables. Further over the back and to the left of these there should be an electrical connector pluging into the gearbox (top of Vehicle Speed Sensor). It will have 3 wires going to it (Black-White, Black, Yellow although you may not see the colours if it's shrouded, sorry can't say as my car is currently away!). Pull off the connector and check to see if its water logged. If it is then wipe off as much of the water as you can and get some WD40 or similar and spray it in the connector. Hopefully when its reconnected it should be OK. Remember to do this with the ignition off!

If that doesn't work then let me know and I will see if I can help some more. It could a few other things but they wouldn't be caused by water in the engine bay. Btw washing the engine bay off is a bad idea I'm afraid (I am speaking from experience of my MR2 when I was selling it) anyway I think you realise that now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had same fault with my ralliart supplied evo ,best way to check the converter which if i remember rightly is screwed to the bulkhead is to trace wire back to gearbox speed sensor pick up point and then you will find the black 3 wire connectors the ralliart speed sensor goes between the female and male side if you unplug it from both and reconnect it your car should read in kmph, if not it could be water ingress on the connections or a faulty gearbox pick up sensor which you can remove easily as its only in with one bolt,if you have a mate with an evo swap it for his to check or buy a new one for 60 quid.If have lost the miles as well as speed then it also could be your speedo header unit in the back of the dash beleive their around 180 off ralliart.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dlgis,
I've just had the same thing happen on my E6 RSX but without the washing of the engine bay.
With the convertor mounted on the bulkhead (if yours is) it suffers from a lot of vibration apparently. Ralliart replaced mine (under warranty) with a in-line one mounted directly from the pickup point which won't suffer the same thing. But check the convertor for water first before changing it.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slightly different this... My speedo hasnt stopped working, however i have worked out that my speed is about 10-15% out, it reads faster than i am actually going, i have measure this against a variety of cars (namely my bros bmw, dads merc and rolls) they have roughly the same readings compared to mine, I have heard that at 4K revs in 5th the speedo should be reading aboiut 81-82, however mine reads just over 90, just to check what speeds shoul dthe speedo be reading at different revs?. This is too big a difference to be acceptable. What can be done to sort this out, im not sure where the convertor unit on my car is located, it may well be a inline one (i cant check today, the weather totally sucks, and i need to change the rear brake pads), could the speedo need calibrating?
Thanks for any help

Prit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the excellent advice. To answer HH6's questions it is only the Speedo and Odometer that are not working, all the other instruments are fine,and the mileage hasnt been lost. The trip counter will reset to zero - I tried that. A new development on the way home from work was the speedo tried to work and even got up to 25mph at one point - the car was doing a little better! By the time I arrived home it had completely died again. Makes me think water is the most likely culprit. However its pi55ing down in London at the moment so I cant go and check out your suggestions.

Darryl.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts