Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me please where this is normally fitted....I know it`s been done but I haven`t got a clue what it looks like or where it is....I think I might have a problem with it and I want to check it out!
Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for that...I`ll have a look......I dont think that it`s the box that`s wrong but the connection...The clocks keep dying when things get warm so I think there`s a duff joint somewhere!

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
i very much doubt you will have that type fitted. it depends how long the cars been in the country. if its been a long time is will more than likely have the converter fitted behind the dash/speedo.

or........it will be fitted directly after the speed sensor in the gearbox which will be in-line with the wiring from the sensor itself located pretty much directly below the throttle body on the top of the gearbox.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I`ve only had the car two weeks...It`s been in the country for about five so I`m it`s first UK owner..There is nothing behind the instrument panel..I`ve had that out and had it entirely in pieces but I can`t see anything wrong...The fuel and temp gauges work fine and all the warninh lights are ok...I`ve checked the fuse link in the footwell and that has voltage even when the gauges are down. It only seems to happen once the cabin is warmed up a bit...If I turn the heating down to cold and drive a few miles further the tacho and speedo kick back in so it points me towards a contact that expands when warm and breaks the circuit!

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
If it's the tacho as well, then it's not a converter problem, the converter goes nowhere near the tacho.

Pull the speedo cluster out and make sure all the contacts are clean.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh Hell Weebl...You`ve got me all worried now!.....I`ve had the instrument panel completely apart five or six times now!...I`ve re-soldered all of the connections on the flexible circuit board ( in case of dry joints ) I`ve used industrial switch cleaner on both the board connections and the main dashboard plugs and I`ve cleaned the holes where the screws make an electrical connection to the instruments....The only thing that was left to check is the KPH/MPH converter....I`m not sure where this wires into,,,,I know it takes its input from the engine speed sensor but quite where it is connected to I`m not sure but what you say makes sense now I really think about it....I was thinking that the tacho had a common connection somewhere with the speedo but now I`m a bit stumped.....Back to the drawing board eh? :confused:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Isnt there a mechanical converter that you can get that fits ontop of the gearbox. It seems my electrical converter is also on the way out?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not 100% sure but I think they only fit the Evo I...all the others are electronic!

·
Registered
20 Posts
on evo 4 you can have a mechanical converter which goes in the gearbox which just converts the kms-mph or a delimiter which is spliced into the ecu wiring which catches the speed sensor wire an others this changes kms-mph and takes the 112 limiter off to try above glovebox near ecu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts