Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just a quick question, didnt know where to post this, how accurate is the speedo on a e6, im asking this because, sometimes i get the feeling that i am actully going slower than what the speedo is saying, this was reinforced recently when i was following my brother in his bmw, my speedo was reading 80, while he says his was reading 70? i know speedos can be out by about 10%. How can i make sure the speedo is resonably accurate?
Thanks in advance.

Prit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Most speedo’s overestimate or exaggerate the speed.

It’s usually about 10%, give or take.

If you want to check yours out you could try following a lorry on the flat, regulated to 56mph or following a coach, again on the flat, regulated to 70mph.

You will then have a fairly good idea of what the indicated speed is in relation to the true speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wait until you get stopped by a copper and I am sure he would tell you from his calibrated speedo! Might cost you a bit though http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
Its funny you mention it because I always think the car is actually slower than the indicated speed but I just put it down to the superb poise and roadholding. Its like with karting, 2 inches from the ground and 20mph feels like 50mph! Where as in a comfortable Merc 90mph can feel like 70mph.
I think the Autocar test stated the speedos were quite accurate though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my VI, I can monitor road speed electronically, as I have a Coralba tripmeter in the car - the speedo is always very accurate.
When the Coralba shows 100Kph, the speedo is exactly on 100Kph.
This is using the standard Speedo as fitted in the factory (i.e. in Kph up to 180Kph).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah Chunky I have seen those advertised but I always thought they were inaccurate. Just had a look at the manual on their site and it looks quite impressive but £160|PLS|VAT impressive? nah!.....hang on I just had a look at their Flash intro and the graphs you can download to Excel look very impressive! Your own rolling road for less than £200! Not bad but still a bit of a toy.....something for when I get bored I supposed. Anyone got one going second hand for 100 notes?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Folk with G-Techs (similar but cruder) have reported very consistent results compared to a proper drag timing setup. Useful for those days when you feel that something might be wrong but you don't know what. Alright, not really

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gimmick! Yeah like your 1800 GSR, what's the point of buying speed measuring equipment for a 1800 GSR???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I totally forgot to metion the first time that i know the speed limiter is supposed to cut in at 112mph, however i when it does cut in the speedo is actually reading about 125, i was wondering any of u guys have similar results? i havent bothered with having the limiter removed, dont wanna risk losing the license, especially with 11pts on it http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
Thanx

Prit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts