Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any body tell me how to disconnect the speed limiter on my Evo 3. 180kph is fast enough for the road but not for club days. The instrument panel looks the same execpt for some warning lights [ABS, etc]to my Evo 2 RS group 'N' rally car.
Cheers.
Michael Sackett.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Michael,

I'm guessing here, but I would expect this to be integral to the ECU. I dont think it is a mechanical gadget that you can just remove. In the UK we convert our cars to read MPH as opposed to KPH and this is usually done electronically, by altering a stream of pulses from a speed sensor. In turn I would expect this altered pulse stream to be fed to the ECU, tricking it into thinking the speed is slower than it really is. In theory the speed limit will work at 180mph, I doubt whether anybody will be able to prove this!

I would think all you need to do is buy one of these devices and fit it to your car, but rewire the speedo so that it still registers KPH not the new MPH, just feed the converted signal to the ECU. Be careful to do this correctly or your speedo will under show MPH on a KPH scale.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mort

Blitz do speed de-restrictors (see the URL below). I have not tried them (importer did mine) and it is probably more expensive than others on the market, but I noticed it when I was browsing.

http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/

Cheers

Naunt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can remove your speed cut on an Evo I -III (don't know about the rest)for the total cost of $0.00 or a little more if you have to buy a roll of electrical tape. All you have to do is prevent the ECU from seeing the speed signal that is sent to it from the speedometer. This involves cutting the wire to the ECU, or the way I did it, which is to use a small bit of electrical tape to wrap the pin that connects the wire to the instrument binnacle. The wire is on the left side connector behind the binnacle. It sits by itself between the upper and lower rows.

A lot of people told me this would not work because the ECU needs to see the speed to do X,Y and Z. I have done this mod. for about one month now and have noticed no change in driveability, gas mileage, no check engine lights no nothing except that the car pulls all the way to redline in fifth gear now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is can second the little white wire speed limiter trick, mine was done over 2 years ago and the cars been problem free.
ps, the cars for sale if anyone is interested.

Chris

[email protected] com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts