Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to remove the speed limiter on an Evo 1. I heard that on an Evo III it is just a matter of cutting a white wire behind the instrument cluster, but there is none on my Evo.

However, yesterday, I got my car back from the garage and the speedometer was not working. I haven't checked as to why, but what I have noticed is that there is no speed limit now. Any ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Disclaimer: All this is just what I've been told. I've no idea if it is accurate and I haven't checked myself

Behind the speedo there is a sensor which gives pulses from 5 magnets on the speedo cable, the regular pulses from the sensor give the speedo reading and at a certain rpm, the speed limiter cuts in. Therefore all you have to do is remove some magnets so that the pulses/sec required to cut the engine do not occur until a higher speed.

However, there is a problem in that only a regular pulse will give an accurate speedo reading, and with the 5 magnet design the only possible solution is to remove 4 magnets. The speedo control will obviously require recalibration if you do this to give an proper reading. This has an advantage in that you can get the kmh to be mph without tacky overlays etc., if you know what I mean.

AFAIK this recalibration of the electronics is what costs the money.

Why'd you want to go faster than 112mph anyway?

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Well let's see, how about the time when I got left behind by a VTEC Integra because I ran up against the limiter...

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
hope you didn't discover that in an expensive way http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Sad.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >
TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Try to add an Apexi speed meter or blitz turbo timer with the speed meter!I think it will remove the speed limiter. This is how most japanese spec. car did to overide the 180KM speed limiter in japan

Joseph

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Any ideas how these devices remove the limit? I don't want the other features, just the limiter removal.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know how they do it either, but I have been reliably informed that they are the way to go.

I asked for APEXi distros the other day with the intention of pricing one, just haven't got around to it yet...

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I belive this devices which connected to The ECU and may be to the speedometer. And Bypass the Speed limiter or speed sensor's informations which send to the ECU.

Joseph

1 - 10 of 10 Posts