Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have searched through all the old posts but most the part numbers are defunct etc. Looking at replacing the speakers in my V. Going by the info I have found so far, front and rear are 6.5". I don't really want to cut the rear to take a 6x9 unless necessary.

Standard stuff is distorting, hope this isn't because of the headunit, a sony CDX F7500

Just looking for something that won't distort and add some more bass. Budget is around £100, don't really want to spend too much tbh, prefer to spend it on performance goods but the ladies love their tunes.

Also, is it best to stick to Dynamat or is there cheaper alternatives that work as well?

Thanks

Nad

·
GT CLUB DADDYS HOME
11,879 Posts
nice one baz might get a set of them as well

i have focal in just now but they bolt from under neath think these would be better tho

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They look awesome but I really need to try and get both sets for £100. Whats the little thing hanging off the bottom of the speaker?

Thanks

Edit to add: Do I want 2 way at rear and something different at the font?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thats the top of the speaker and its a tweeter bud ..

Two ways are better for the fronts to give better mid high range .. keep the rears for the bass/ mid ..

Better off getting some kind of amped bass to give the car a better sound .. running the standard speakers with decent bass means you dont need to run the stereo as loud as you get a better range of sound .. in theory :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the top of the speaker and its a tweeter bud ..

Two ways are better for the fronts to give better mid high range .. keep the rears for the bass/ mid ..

Better off getting some kind of amped bass to give the car a better sound .. running the standard speakers with decent bass means you dont need to run the stereo as loud as you get a better range of sound .. in theory :thumbup:
I was on about the ebay link, I know that bits the tweeter :lol:

Thanks for the other info though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hehe .. you never know with some people :lol:

Hope you find what your after .. but for £100 and attempting to upgrade the exisitng .. not sure that you will mate .. Stick some bass in .. and then have a look at whether you need to change your speakers :smthumbup:

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hehe .. you never know with some people :lol:

Hope you find what your after .. but for £100 and attempting to upgrade the exisitng .. not sure that you will mate .. Stick some bass in .. and then have a look at whether you need to change your speakers :smthumbup:
So, would you suggest sticking some decent rears in like the above infinity speakers and going from there? I assume it would just be a case of then adding the same in the front if needs be?

I assume the thing hanging off the speaker is some sort of posh connector heh

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
If you stick in some decent rears, do you plan on having the majority of the sound coming from behind you?

If not, I'd stick a decent pair in the front and use the stock ones for some rear fill. You can do this by putting the 'fade' closer to the front of the car so, the majority of the sound will come out the front speakers and help your stereo image and sound stage. If you're bothered about that sort of thing... :D
That little box off the driver is just the crossover circuit for the tweeters...

Paul
So, would you suggest sticking some decent rears in like the above infinity speakers and going from there? I assume it would just be a case of then adding the same in the front if needs be?

I assume the thing hanging off the speaker is some sort of posh connector heh

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
If you are only doing one pair do fronts 1st mate as this is what you hear most of.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not that I would recommend it but .. Just stuck a Halfrauds fusion bass (slimline £80 inc wires etc) in the back of a range rover for a mate .. he was looking to change all the OEM speakers .. He didnt want to spend too much as is mainly using it for off road .. but wanted some better sounds .. He said to chuck the cheap and cheerful bass in and was amazed at the difference ..

You have two options .. replacing the OEM speakers will give you much better results .. but you will need to turn the sound up quite loud to get a kick ..

Installing an amped bass .. be it in the boot or under a seat .. will give you the bass kick .. and allow you to run the other speakers under less load (Quieter) to give a better all round sound .. you wont need the bass from the doors and rears .. therefore you can turn the bass to these down and use them for mid and treble .. fading the sound to the front or the rear can be done to suite yourself ..

Once you have the bass .. you can then make a decision on the door and rear speakers .. if you are unhappy with the sound ..

These are obviously cheap options .. head unit first .. then bass then speakers ... Just depends how much wad youve got burning a hole and how much of an audiophile you are :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you stick in some decent rears, do you plan on having the majority of the sound coming from behind you?

If not, I'd stick a decent pair in the front and use the stock ones for some rear fill. You can do this by putting the 'fade' closer to the front of the car so, the majority of the sound will come out the front speakers and help your stereo image and sound stage. If you're bothered about that sort of thing... :D
That little box off the driver is just the crossover circuit for the tweeters...

Paul
If you are only doing one pair do fronts 1st mate as this is what you hear most of.
Yeah sorry I got lost with what typhoid was saying about bass and was just thinking of the rear, where a sub would normally go.

Not that I would recommend it but .. Just stuck a Halfrauds fusion bass (slimline £80 inc wires etc) in the back of a range rover for a mate .. he was looking to change all the OEM speakers .. He didnt want to spend too much as is mainly using it for off road .. but wanted some better sounds .. He said to chuck the cheap and cheerful bass in and was amazed at the difference ..

You have two options .. replacing the OEM speakers will give you much better results .. but you will need to turn the sound up quite loud to get a kick ..

Installing an amped bass .. be it in the boot or under a seat .. will give you the bass kick .. and allow you to run the other speakers under less load (Quieter) to give a better all round sound .. you wont need the bass from the doors and rears .. therefore you can turn the bass to these down and use them for mid and treble .. fading the sound to the front or the rear can be done to suite yourself ..

Once you have the bass .. you can then make a decision on the door and rear speakers .. if you are unhappy with the sound ..

These are obviously cheap options .. head unit first .. then bass then speakers ... Just depends how much wad youve got burning a hole and how much of an audiophile you are :thumbup:
Yeah wanted to steer away from amps, mainly because of lack of space, likewise why I can't really fit in a normal sub. This is why I was gonna go with an OEM replacement, hopefully the headunit is up to it.

So for the timebeing, would 4 of the infinity speaker suit, or something with more bass and less treble for the rear, ie not coaxials?

EDIT: Unless I can mount a mini amp under the parcel shelf to run something on the rear shelf?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
If you treat the mounting surfaces to some Dynamat and reinforce them with mounting rings, you'll get a decent amout of bass out of the main speakers.

Ideally, you want less high frequency sound coming from the rear as this is what will draw your attention. Plain old mid bass drivers would work well. Having a decent level of bass coming from these will not be a problem and may help boost the low end some. The frequencies in the bass range are much less to not directional so, your brain can't tell where they're coming from. Again, you can always turn the volume down to the rear speakers slightly, using the fade control.

There is plenty of room in the Evo for amplification. My VII has three amps installed. One two channel under the drivers seat and another under the passenger seat. It also has a five channel amp in the boot that's currently used for the subwoofer. :eek:

Clearly this wasn't planned very well by the previous owner so, the two amps under the seats will be coming out and the five channel amp in the boot will be powering everything when I get round to re-wiring the hifi set up.

It might be an idea to buy an amp if you do go for the Infinity speakers. Traditionally, these aren't very sensitive so, are hard to drive. This results in less volume for a give input. The head unit might not provide enough power to run them up to the level you want.

Paul
Yeah wanted to steer away from amps, mainly because of lack of space, likewise why I can't really fit in a normal sub. This is why I was gonna go with an OEM replacement, hopefully the headunit is up to it.

So for the timebeing, would 4 of the infinity speaker suit, or something with more bass and less treble for the rear, ie not coaxials?

EDIT: Unless I can mount a mini amp under the parcel shelf to run something on the rear shelf?

·
MLR Oldie
14,971 Posts
I've got the Infinitys in the back and a set of JL Audio Components going in the front doors along with a 4Ch JL Audio amp and a JL Audio sub for the boot. I'm not really into boom boom shake the world style chav bass - just like a decent quality sound.

There are subs that you can mount on a board behind the rear seat rather than in a box and therefor they take up very little room.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Im trying to give you a viable alternative to changing the OEM speakers and keeping within a small budget .. I to am not really into the BooM Boom Chav sounds but enjoy music ..

Trying to get a "full" sound from 6.5`s amped from the headunit is going to be difficult on a budget .. sticking some extra bass in the car will allow you to use the OEM speakers without overpowering their bass and making them distort .. giving a fuller sound in the car ..

Again .. depends on what intensity you wanna listen to the sounds .. the more quality/ better the sounds .. the more expense .. unless you find some veritable bargains or have a wealthy sponsor :smthumbup:

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I can see where you're coming from but, for the price of a decent active subwoofer, you could get a decent set of front speakers (component or coaxial) and a small amp to run them and improve the overall sound. Not just add low down thump and weight...

Horses for courses... ;)

Paul
Im trying to give you a viable alternative to changing the OEM speakers and keeping within a small budget .. I to am not really into the BooM Boom Chav sounds but enjoy music ..

Trying to get a "full" sound from 6.5`s amped from the headunit is going to be difficult on a budget .. sticking some extra bass in the car will allow you to use the OEM speakers without overpowering their bass and making them distort .. giving a fuller sound in the car ..

Again .. depends on what intensity you wanna listen to the sounds .. the more quality/ better the sounds .. the more expense .. unless you find some veritable bargains or have a wealthy sponsor :smthumbup:

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
If you wanna go down the sub and amp route I have a pheonix gold 12" 250 RMS sub, well 2 of them actually. An I also have 3 250 RMS pheonix Gold amps, although 1 of them wasn't working right the last time I used it, that are perfectly matched for the subs. One of the amps would also be more than enough to power front or rear speakers. Plus I have all the wiring needed to plug it all in. All the bits are sat in my lounge not doing a lot at the moment if you're interested in any of it? The sound they produce is great but not over powering and being 12's they are a good all round performer on a wide range of music. Let me know if you're interested. I'll even keep it easy for you. You can have the lot for £100 plus whatever it costs to deliver them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can see where you're coming from but, for the price of a decent active subwoofer, you could get a decent set of front speakers (component or coaxial) and a small amp to run them and improve the overall sound. Not just add low down thump and weight...

Horses for courses... ;)

Paul
Absolutely .. Horses for courses .. depends on the end users tastes and wealth :smthumbup:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Have searched through all the old posts but most the part numbers are defunct etc. Looking at replacing the speakers in my V. Going by the info I have found so far, front and rear are 6.5". I don't really want to cut the rear to take a 6x9 unless necessary.

Standard stuff is distorting, hope this isn't because of the headunit, a sony CDX F7500

Just looking for something that won't distort and add some more bass. Budget is around £100, don't really want to spend too much tbh, prefer to spend it on performance goods but the ladies love their tunes.

Also, is it best to stick to Dynamat or is there cheaper alternatives that work as well?

Thanks

Nad
jl audio all the way swapped mine over and its good sheeeeet:smthumbup

1 - 20 of 23 Posts