Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am absolutely miffed off with my computer at the moment, first I have atrojan which is lodged somewhere in my start menu, i can disable it doing various things for say about a week otherwise its found but too late by norton internet security (its the about blank page virus.. rundll.32)
I have Norton Ghost 9.0 to install but its saying theres components missing, I have tried installing microsoft framework 1.1. but when i open it theres errors reported. So I decided to contact Microsoft who in turn said the problem needs to be dealt with by Symantec and gave me a number (its closed now after 5pm)

but reading the book from Norton its asking for the microsoft version.

I am gonna bonkers here

can someone help me cos i feel like chucking the bluddy hard drive out of the window,

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Cryptwalk said:

Try those, then dump Norton and go and get AVG for free and use the windows xp firewall.
"Ding"

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Makes said:
am absolutely miffed off with my computer at the moment, first I have atrojan which is lodged somewhere in my start menu, i can disable it doing various things for say about a week otherwise its found but too late by norton internet security (its the about blank page virus.. rundll.32)
I have Norton Ghost 9.0 to install but its saying theres components missing, I have tried installing microsoft framework 1.1. but when i open it theres errors reported. So I decided to contact Microsoft who in turn said the problem needs to be dealt with by Symantec and gave me a number (its closed now after 5pm)

but reading the book from Norton its asking for the microsoft version.

I am gonna bonkers here

can someone help me cos i feel like chucking the bluddy hard drive out of the window,
Do you use Windows XP?

·
Premium Member
22,052 Posts
Hi Makes. I eventually got sick of problems with my computer all the time, especially after using a few different virus scans and seeing a ridiculous no. of viruses. I am not good with a computer. A friend of mine in ormskirk sorted mine out last night, and he is very good with the computers. mine now is as good as the day i bought it, if you get stuck, i will pass on his details as he is local, and you just pass on your tower

Stu

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
By asking for the Microst version, they are simply asking for which version of windows you are using, if you right click on the " my computer" icon on your desktop a menu comes up, selct "properties" and that will bring a screen up that dislays what version of "windows" your using

·
Registered
24,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rob, that 3rd rescue thing wants money off you after it did the scan :(

if i put avg on the laptop wont work properly :cry: :cry:

im off to drink myself into a stupor I thank you all but i am doomed , Stu .. Gazzor built me original and has offered to wipe it again and start clean but thanks for replying you gent :D

I need xp i suppose but have a pricing structure on here which could cost me dearly and i dont want to go bankrupt and lost me tommi :cry:

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Once you get this fixed I would advise you take some preventative measures, if you are using XP I would strongly suggest that you create a user account specifically just for browsing the internet that has no rights what so ever to the laptop/pc you are using - this way you will not be install the majority of trojans/viruses/spyware as they will need administrative privileges to some extent to self install and if the user does not have them... no trojan.

If you want to get me into the specifics of creating user accounts, disabling scripts, active-x controls etc send a PM and I will compile something up for you (will do it through the week if thats ok). :)

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Its sounds like the StartPage.Trojan virus which is a complete bar steward to get rid.

In the end, the only thing that worked was Mcafee Anti Virus with patch revision 4445 - all the other virus scanners said se.dll was at fault but Mcafee found the core library and deleted its arse.

Hmm I'm going to send a PM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts