Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right.

Me again.....first Evo (4)....new problem... for me anyway.

Ok...so the people that have read my previous posts know about my shock absorbers, I’ve got hard sus (to me any way).
And Claudius, thanks for all you help and advice on that front and with the plight of the second car for 'the wife'...no offence to all the wives reading this post:D.

Problem:

When I take 90 degree, or there about, left corner, not quick but quick enough to test your tyres, i get this rubbing sound that is as if the rear left tyre is touching the inner wheel arch. The more abrupt the turn, the louder the noise.

The effect of a right turn, similar to that described above, results in the same (noise from rear left again), but not nearly as pronounced.
When I took the wheels off the back to have a look I could see no obvious ware marks anywhere! (.. I think it would have been better (cheaper:() if I could have seen something!)

I’m taking her back to the dealers to have the touch of spot welding to the rear right sus mount, mentioned in earlier posts, dealt with this week...so I’ll tell them about this as well......but I want ideas from you guys/girls first.......wool, eyes, pullover, catch my drift?;)

I’m starting to get a little concerned about these niggling problems.
She's a 96 model, so she's bound to be a little worn.

Question:

What do you think the noise is?
and
Do you think I should be concerned generally about the health of my 4?

Please be gentle with me because this is my first real love affair..........i know your saying 'how can it be love ...they've only been together for about a month!'.........sorry..... I’m rambling again:)!

Tell me the truth....wadda ya think?:(

Cheers

Colie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stud

Could be the sound of the AYC functioning. You do have a GSR with AYC, dont you? The explanation why it is louder when cornering left than when cornering right is that you take left coreners faster, left corners being the ones where the car is fully compressed to the road on the driver's side. You get more feedback and tend to take corners where you come closer to the road faster.

I cant see how it could be the tyres touching inside the wheelarches since your car is not too low. Unless you have the wrong sizes on there. Check them and post them here!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

I don't have an answer to your question, but let me say that the concern over these niggling problems seems endemic to Evo ownership-- get used to the feeling! Every day, it seems that there's some new pop, clunk or rattle, and I think to myself [email protected] I hope that's not going to be expensive! . But happily, it's been all good!

Enjoy the car, and don't worry too much!

Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Claudius,

yes, I have AYC and the tyres are standard for the car 205/50 16 (although I do want to go to 225/40 17 but don't think I can get there unless I make some other alterations to my 4 (mental note:confirm details with search on forum:, 215/45 16 will be the next step me thinks).
Trouble is I’ve nothing here to compare with, so some noises I can relate to and others make me wince!...this one just does not sound right.

Hesperus,

Thanks for the confidence boost ...I think.....glad it’s not just me!;)

Z,

Good to put a voice to a name. I’ll see the e-mail later. Talk after that.

I can tell this is going to be a very interesting relationship between man and beast!...emmmm...you know what I mean!:D

Colie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man and beast... what does your wife have to do with this? :D I thought you were talking about your saloon car!

What does the noise sound like? Is it a clac clac clac on hard cornering, like a regular rattle as if something were subject to tension that is going to break it eventually? If it is like that, then it is your AYC working correctly. Mine is starting to give up and it whistles!!

The tyre size you mention cannot be the reason. Unless you have huge spacers in between the wheels and hubs. Can you take a pic of your car with one rear wheel off? The area where the brake disc is?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
C,
'...something were subject to tension that is going to break it eventually?'...thats what it sounds like ..the harder the turn the louder the noise, thats during the turn as well!...
are these pics ok .....taken the other night..

Colie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:) The noise you hear is not from the tyres. You can see from your pictures that there is nothing on the hubs but rust and then the wheel. ;) Given your tyre size, the wheels couldnt touch inside the arches unless you have really soft and low suspensions, which obviously insnt the case.

The noise is from the AYC, the Active Yaw Control. Is is an electronic rear limited slip differential that will keep the car from sliding by transferring torque to the inner wheel. You can get the inner wheel squealing or even make the car slide with this diff, but it takes a lot of whole heartedness to do so on the open road. Try on a big empty parking lot night time or so.

If you hear that noise, then your AYC works. That's it. I know it sounds like it's going to break! (and I am still waiting for thatto happen because I hate AYC. I want the car to slide easily to have fun :D)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey! That's not fair! I'm supposed to have the only black E4 in Devon! Mr Studcolie... Me and you are gonna have to have words when I'm next in town...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unlucky Grog!
i knew as soon as i saw her, i she would be mine!......my Black Beauty!:D

anywho..shes in the garage having that spot of welding done:(....a night with out my baby!
...still she's got other EVOs to keep her company...

also, i have got to chnage those disc, as yo can see they are a bit rusty on the centre hub...any suggestions?

Colie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Colie

I'm not sure you need to change discs. The hub is always rusty where the wheel fits. Water enters and that's what happens. You need to check how deeply the disc is worn on the inside compared to the outer edge. Put your finger on the edge and see how far inside the main part of the disc is compared to the edge. One or 2 mm, no worries.

I know of unwarpable discs for the Evo that look nice with separate aluminium bell (the bell can be anodised in your colour, mainly blue or red or none). My Jap parts dealer told me about Project Mu carbon fiber discs (85% carbon or so) which take 1300 degrees celsius, that is 300 C more than the EGT! they are GBP 1000 front and back with pads though. The other ones are CTFs and cost around 500 the pair.

Check yours first though. Also check pad width!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HI there!! I have got an e4 as well, my does the same when going round the corner, the faster you go the lounder the clicking sound is. I have asked several tunners about this, they did say to me is the ayc working, so I dont think there is anything to worry about, I had my e4 for just over 6 month now, love it to bits, its just so good and fast to drive. as for break discs and pads, at the moment, I have put the ebc front disc in it with red stuff pads they stop alot better than the standard discs (major difference I can say), especially during hard and emergency breaking. My e4 is running about 350bhp at the moment, lowered 35mm all round, standard wheels (no rubbings), so I wouldnt think your wheels is rubbing the car either. if concern it is a good Idea to check the tracking and wheel balancing of the car as my tracking is way out compared to the last time I checked it (thats 4months ago). I hope that helps you!

Leon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Claudius,

that rust looks terrible though!;(...i would consider changing them just for the asthetics... a black set with silver grooves would like very nice IMO:D...any other options?

Evo4, Claudius

you don't think its got anything to do with the recall notice i've read about on this forum...do you? i must investigate.

PS

recieved my manuals today, tech and workshop....
there's a section under AYC reads:

Symptom:Rear tires are noisy during low-speed cornering.
Cause: The hydraulic unit or torque transfer differential is PROBABLY defective...............WHAT!

tears now or later...

i hope yor right EVO4!;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Symptom:Rear tires are noisy during low-speed cornering.
Cause: The hydraulic unit or torque transfer differential is PROBABLY defective...............WHAT

This means that your AYC system is not functioning correctly, take it back to the dealer or go to ralliart to get them check the AYC system as well as try change the AYC oil, if I remember correctly from the manual you should change the oil at 40000 miles but its always good idea to change oil often.
I service my evo 4 every 4000-5000 miles just to keep it at top form. (costy compared to my previous cars)
but its worth it.

let me know how it goes with your dealer ok.

Leon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts