Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grrrrr!!

I've been waiting to take the plunge for a little while after some kindly soul took me out in his FQ300 it was clear that at some point soon the impreza would have to to make way for greater things. Funds cleared via a remortgage meant that a test drive, as long as it rekindled those memories of searing pace and grip, would secure an order. (MR320 or 340). Told dealer this and that I was looking to trade in a one and a half year old UK impreza turbo and think they knew I was serious and not just blagging a thrash in a fast car. After some calls to the local dealer I finally got this drive, around roads that I knew too which is a huge bonus.

Arriving slightly early in great anticipation I was told to sit and wait for someone, when they arrived some time later I was told that the car had been sold but, (out of the kindness of his heart) "you could look round it if you want". Great! I'm gonna shell out £30k + on a car by looking round it. No phone call to tell there would be no test drive - it had been sold the day before and they have my mobile no - and to save me a wasted journey on a Saturday, although he did concede "he should have called" when pressed. Apparantly there was a chance of a drive in the next few weeks. Wow.

With this kind of PRE SALES service I glad I'm not in deeper and had to deal with them on say something like a warranty claim. Sure all dealers aren't this inconsiderate and arrogant but it's put me off completely. I'm one of those types who, rightly or wrongly, prefer to pay extra for warranty, main dealer backup etc. Sod it I'm sticking with Subaru!

Sorry for the rant guys but I'm fuming and desperately disappointed.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Hi, Unfortunately this is not an isolated incident and some Mitsi dealers ARE putting people off buying what is, a great car.

There are however good ones out there. One of the members on here, 'Black Knight' is a Mitsi dealer and has a very well deserved good rep on the board. He is based in Brighton, don't know if this is any good to you?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
To be quite honest, if I was really that keen to get one, I wouldn't be put off by the dealer.

I would look for another one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys thanks for your replies.

Weebl, cheers for the recommendation it's a bit too far for me sadly I'm nearer the middle of the country. I know what you mean about finding another, but all of the mitsi dealers round here are the same franchise and, well I'm probably being vengeful here as I'm still wound up, I don't want to deal with them or give them my money (maybe it will subside). As I said I'm one of those who places a great deal of importance on the warranty/dealer backup stuff as I'm pretty dependant on my car and mechanically clueless! I have to say the Subaru dealer, while rather expensive has been really good in that repsect.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A similar thing happened to me when I was buying my Evo. I had vistied the dealer a few times, had a test drive, discussed figures etc. I went over to buy the car, cash in pocket for a deposit, only to be told the car had been sold. Same as you, no phone call to let me know.
I was really pi**ed off. I ended up driving over 100 miles to buy the exact same car from a Mitsi dealer near London.
Morale of the story, don't be put off.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
mitsubishi customer service is in the same class as military intelligence neither make any sense

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Martin if your anywhere near Nottingham give Iain Newham a pm on here he is the Ralliart tech for Chris Variava at Nottingham and I am sure he can sort out a test drive for you. He is also a very good person to have working on your car :)

Matt
:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for all your input, advice and experiences. Dealer has now contacted me to apologise and rearrange a test drive. We shall see.. Maybe be I'll be joining the fold after all!

Cheers,

Martin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got my test drive. Have to say that after the hitch I was impressed with the dealer, got me another car to try pretty quick and the salesman was a top bloke too, friendly, polite and not too pushy.

Anyhow, the car - MR320. Warmed it up gently like a good citizen, everything was in place, great looks, huggy seats, brilliant handling and brakes, ride firm but surprisingly comfy - I'm falling in love....

Right car now warmed up exit a roundabout and bury the throttle and.... mmm expecting more than that, push hard through the gears and, yeah it's making good progress, but, and I'm aware that perception of speed can be different, I imagined my bog standard UK WRX03 would be right behind it. Tried a standing start launch and accelerate hard round another roundabout, handling is ace, yet the power is either incredibly deceptive or not what I'd remembered. Thing is the car is literally brand new ( sub 100 miles) and I know from my 2 new Subaru’s that things get significantly better does anyone think I'd have been massively more impressed had the thing had say, at least a couple of thousand miles on it?

I really had thought that a car of this spec would have been a real step up from what I'm used to, maybe I'm expecting too much? Would a 340 be much different? I really wanted to love this car and to a point I did, yet I wanted a big rush of adrenaline from pure power and I didn't really get it, maybe an FQ300 7 was a bit more raw and you felt the pace more, maybe it's all OK and I can get that surge once a car is run in? Any opinions/advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Martin

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
The power delivery is deceptive.

You will not get the boot in the back you are used to from your scoob unless you tune it a bit more :)

A friend of mine had a scoob and he was convinced it was quicker than my Evo, to be fair, it certainly felt that way.

Luckily we managed to end up side by side rolling onto an empty dual carriageway on the way to somewhere and suffice it to say, he now owns an Evo :)

·
Super Moderator
7,386 Posts
If the last evo you went out in was a 7, you will have felt the much loved mitsubishi bomb proof silky smooth 5 spd gearbox :coolsm: and now you have been out in a 8 with the complete pig of a 6 spd box, which in my opinion aswell as alot of other people in the know has not done the car much justice.

Gary

ps make the right choice and buy a 260 for under 20k, spend 3k on it, you will have a MR FQ340 beater.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies,

Weebl, think I know what you mean, had a play with an evo 8 of some description a little while ago, wasn't all that close ;-) so I know it must be quicker but it REALLY didn't feel it, I do think that's a combination of deceptive speed and a brand new tight engine.

Know what you mean about 6 speed, had a GTi-6 a while ago and was never convinced a that it needed them (and I must admit I thought that was a very average and under powered car). Never used fifth and made ride a little jerky. Idea on a 260 sounds very interesting will do some research.

Cheers,

Martin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts