Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried putting snow tyres on their Evo?

Was thinking about getting smaller alloys to suit snow conditions.

Any tips/ideas/experience?

I was thinking of a set of smaller alloys I could take off but would prefer some advice if anyone has any,

Thanks
Geo

·
... now with more Bang :)
17,770 Posts
could do with something that helps floating round here at the moment rather than snow :(

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
I just fitted a set of evo 7 wheels (17") and some winter tyres to mine. Only seen minimal snow so far but at least it protects my other wheels and tyres over the winter. Considering I didnt spend a fortune on the tyres, i'm impressed with how good they are for the price. :)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
To the OP, do a search on here and you shall find.

I had Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60's on my TME and more recently some Yokohama Ice Guard IG-20's on my 9 MR.

Both were truely awesome and afforded you masses of grip and control in both cornering, braking and acceleration.

I have just bought a set of Nokian WR A3's for my next car, a E90 330d M Sport which will be running about 295-300 bhp a d a shed load of torque.

Winter tyres are the way forward IMO and they are not just for snow, they come into their own when the road temp falls below 7 degrees due to softer compound of rubber that contains more silica and the tread drawing with slits in to draw moisture away from the straight and narrow so you can get better grip.

Go ahead and buy a set of good ones, you won't look back, all others who have tried them don't!

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
Yeah, I ran Michelin X-Ice 225/45 17s, which are good for compacted snow, but not so good on cold wet roads, so going to try Pirelli Sottozeros this year :smthumbup

Most of the winter, it's just rainy, cold, icy with snow for a few weeks, so having a tyre that works well in all these conditions is what I need. Some winter tyres are more snow biased and other more cold/wet biased etc - have a look here: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Tests/#winter

Makes a huge difference and is great fun (but be careful!) :D

Cheers

Rog

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
As a user of snow tyres for 6 years now, I guess I can count myself as an experienced snow tyre guy :mhihi:

If you want good all-round winter/snow (or "studless" as they are known) tyres, get some Bridgestone Blizzaks or Yokohama Ice Guards... they have many models, but all very good.

They obviously wear down quickly in the dry, and don't expect to take corners as fast without sliding lol.

In the wet, again, nothing special, but if you go fast, they won't wear down as much :mhihi:

In the snow, great, predictable and you should be fine in all but the deepest of snow. They only really "handle" well, in the snow.

Finally, if you have constant snow, maybe invest some rally studless tyres. Last year I used Dunlop Rally Studless tyres, and only sheet ice caused us problems... Mind you, they are very soft so should not be used on tarmac.:smthumbup a bit pricey too, but very good grip :D

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Just bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60s. They make a massive difference in the snow and dry low temps.

In low temps Normal/summer tyres go hard and loose grip regardless how much tread they have.

I also bought them a bit thinner (235/45/18) but they still fit my original wheels (245/40/18).

·
Registered
192 Posts
EVOs are made for snow and bad winter conditions! You will se other dimension of driving during the winter times, especially on the snow. I running on my V 15" whells 195/65 with small brakes at front. One tyre is approx. 50 eurs ... You can drive it like you stole it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spot on advice guys, I done a search online and the forum to see if there is any smaller size alloys for sale.

I didn't find much, anyone got some ideas.

BTW loved that "Drive it like you stole it"

Total BO$$ comment haha

·
Premium Member
8,643 Posts
You'll need to watch getting smaller wheels,they wont fit over the front brembos.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You'll need to watch getting smaller wheels,they wont fit over the front brembos.
Ahhh! Could have messed that one up!

I have spare 16" 5 stud Mercedes wheels off my other car, might try them on it but the are pretty wide still at 225 width

Really all I am looking for is a set of alloys and winter tyres I can put on when it snows.

Hit some snow & Ice yesterday and spun like I was on dancing on ice. The breaks were useless because the tyres where getting zero traction. Luckily didn't hit a thing. Prevention is better than cure and all that!:lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As above - you'll need 17s to fit over the Brembos :smthumbup

Rog :)

p.s. PCD of Merc wheels is different to EVO too...
Cheers Rog ;-) will have look for some 17"s and get some proper rubber on them!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts