Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an evo 6 gsr and have recently bought a snooper radar detector,
But it constantly goes off and i have had to remove it before i throw it out the window,
The only thing i can think of that is setting it off is the proximity sensor on the alarm, which is a clifford concept 50,
I have tried to talk to clifford but not very helpfull.
the snooper has been tested in other cars and works fine

Can anybody help??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have use a Snooper (2 different models ) for about 5 years--the radar part of both reacts to stray signals, commecial/house alarm systems, traffic lights and amp; ESPECIALY mobile fones. Put -up with it or bin the thing!! (But it does keep you alert!and me at sane speeds) Note: most mobile speed traps use laser guns now, so if you drive on the detector , waiting for a warning, you are DONE already when the detector beeps, sorry!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear WhattheF**kwasthat!

I've also experienced the problems that you describe with your Snooper. I went out and brought mine the day after I got my Scooby due to the foresight of my licence being at far greater risk of being lost!

My Scooby had a Clifford Concept 50 on it (The alarm with the Dual Zone Proximity Sensor) which caused all sorts of False Positives. After talking to my installer, he said that the Proximity Sensor on Clifford Alarms is always on regardless of whether the ignition is on or not. He said that this was for 'stability' and was to do with the way that Clifford Alarms work. It's the 'pings' from the Proximity Sensor that are triggering the Snooper! My Clifford in my Evo 5 (Which I brought after selling the Scoob)also does it as well!!

The only way around the problem that myself and my installer found was that by putting in a relay which switched of the Sensor when the ignition was on! When the ignition was off, the sensor was on as per normal. This works great and immediatley eliminated 99% of the false readings that I was getting.

I would have no hesitation in recommending that you give my installer, Dave from Safe n' Sound a call if you are based anywhere near the Croydon area. His number is 0208 2880181

Let us know how you get on!

Andy Hedges
L 300 EVO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At Last!!! My job as a radio engineer can be put to use solving problems with evo's (well sort of).

The proximity sensors on some alarms use microwaves to detect movement (some of these do not actualy meet UK type approval but we'll ignore that for now). The radar detector you have detects any sort of electromagnetic radiation over a very large band width. This will probably include the frequency on which the sensors operate. My radar detector goes off around some auto doors etc. This makes use of the detector and sensors mutualy exclusive. The remedy above seems like the right sort of option, but getting an installer to do it may prove difficult.

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank for the help guys i have located the proximity sensor and will disconect it and see what happens if all is well ill try and get a relay fitted,
ill let vyou know how i got on with six point already i have to try anything

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A word of warning.
If you mess with your alarm system, you may find your insurance no longer valid. I know the sensors dont have anything to do with the engine immobiliser, but you will surely remove the thatcham 1 status. If anything happens to your car and it finds it way into the hands of the insurance company, Im pretty sure they will use this as an opt-out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes as expected the snooper works fine with the proximity sensor removed but ill get it put back on with as relay
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.