Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Any of you guys with Evo 1,2 or3's I need your advice.
Ive just got my 1995 E3 with 104,000kms arrived from Japan, all great and in beautiful condition untill I push it hard on acceleration, then i get some oil smoke out of exhaust, change gear and accelerate hard again and a big puff off oil smoke out of exhaust. However the longer i drive for the less this smoke is a problem. Seems to run really well( all std 0.7bar boost). I am in motors trade and have had several different opinions as to problem, though non of my contacts have experience with EVo's.
I would be extremely greatfull for any ideas and help from you lot.
Martin

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that
Ill check them tomorow, It doesn't seem all that fast , but I am biker ( and run a drag brike) and trying my first performance car, Am I expecting too much!!!!!!!!!
Martin

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Marto said:
Am I expecting too much!!!!!!!!!
Martin
yes...!
- they're quick cars.....but not in the same league as decent bikes
...especially ones prepped for drags....
(quickest quarter mile for my old evo1 was 12.9 @ 107mph in 2002 at the ex- Avon Park on a damp track)

however, the e1-3 is easy to tweak cheaply....fairly easy to get 310+bhp from an e3 and 400+ with forged internals

standard boost is 0.7-0.8 bar

guess you must 'do' North Weald' ?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
as Chunky has mentioned....1bar is sensible although you can go to max of 1.1-1.2 bar on the e3 ....but wouldn't run constant

tried and tested mods on the e1-3 are:
* Gizzmo chip ..see here: www.gizzmoelectronics.co.nz
* walbro/bosch 255lph uprated fuel pump
* adjustable fuel pressure regulator e.g. SARD
* manual(not bleed valve!) or electronic boost controller set to
1- 1.2 bar
- e.g. HKS evc4 or 5 (which has a 'scramble boost facility),
or Apex-i avc-r, blitz, etc
* ngk BR8ES plugs
* magnecor leads

= approx 310+ bhp or higher dependant on boost level(s)

·
Registered
294 Posts
ive just got a e3 and have the same problem, cheak if theres any oil in your turbo pipes.
thats wot i did and i took it 2 carwise in york and he said its my turbo seals that r starting 2 leak. hope u get it sorted dude

·
Registered
294 Posts
not had my turbo done yet, it gose in 2 have it done in a few weeks.

yes mate it is gergeoffs old e3, and im in love with it,well i will b when i get it just how i want it :D

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
why does everyone think oil in turbo pipe means knackered turbo take of the breath top left of rocker box and put in can an see if it fills with oil if so you have a heavy breathing engine with possible ring land fault :(

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guy's
Ive done compression check today, all between 155 and 170psi, then again with a squirt of oil down bores and all between 175 and 190psi so i guess there's no problem with the rings. There is an excessive amount of oil in the induction pipes though. Ill try dropping the breather pipe into seperate catch tank and see what happens, sounds like a possibility, if not must be Turbo probs.
Anyway Thanks again for all your help.
Ill let you all know the out come and solution.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
the compression test will be ok as it doesnt drop pressure as the ring are still fine but when you boost it the pressure is forced behind the cracked ring land and inflats crankcase pressure case oil to pass from the rocker box into induction pipe
if you turbo was passing you would not get oil in inlet only after turbo
mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry Mike
I have only checked induction pipes from trubo through intercooler to inlet manifold. I haven't looked from air filter to turbo but ill check.
Do these engines breath heavy normally, would a seperate catch tank for cam housing breather be a long term solution or are we talking new pistons and rings?
Martin

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.