Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed today that when I have the air-conditioning on that I get an unpleasant smell. It smells like stale air.

I have not noticed it before as I try not to use the air con to much but due to the cold had it on all day.

I did have the car cleaned inside and out by a car valeter. Is it something that they may have caused.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Skeletor

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This will be going down as an FAQ when I know the exact problem as several people have asked before......PONDY! where are you! (our resident A/C expert ;))

I believe this can be due to the drain hole in the bulkhead being blocked but I think that there is another more common reason for it as well.
The fact you have had the A/C off for a while could have something to do with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I GET THIS SAME PROBLEM WITH THE AIR CON ON OR WITH JUST THE HEATER ON. I ALSO DONT USE THE AIR CON MUCH. SO THIS COULD BE A CAUSE.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the smell is created if moisture is left on the evaporator for a while from the last time the A/C was used. Running the last few miles before stoping with the heater on and no air/con should dry the evaporator out enough to stop it happening.

Hopefully Pondy can confirm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the reply's.

One more question does the air con have a filter that needs to be replaced a regular intervals. A friend of mine has a pollen filter on his car which he has to replace.

Many Thanks

Skeletor

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A common cause of this problem is actually perfume/ aftershave/ cosmetics! If the a/c is set to recirc, alcohol based cosmetics evaporate from your body,mix with the air and get trapped on the cooling coil in the bulkhead. This, mixed with moisture formed by the cooling process, breaks down and becomes a nasty jelly-like substance. If it is left, the smell can be like rotting fish!

Check that the drain tube (I haven't looked at the evo one, but generally a flexible rubber hose running from the heater matrix area to below the gearbox/ sump area) isn't blocked. Shove a knitting needle or the like up it, being careful not to puncture the coil!

There are remedies on the market to disslove this crap on the coil. Best way is to get into the matrix and spray with some (gentle) disinfectant. The cooling coil is usually in front of the heater matrix (i.e engine side).

I can make enquiries about permanent remedies for car a/c, if required.

I am not sure about pollen filters on the evo, either. I would be surprised if they don't have one, as for the past 5-10 years, pollen filters have been a trendy selling point for many cars (i.e, 'give them the anti-hayfever line'). Most manufacturers follow these trends.

Hope this has been of help!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The drain is in the bulkhead, I know because I thought the damn car was leaking fluid in the summer until I smelt and tasted it and it was only water http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tongue1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
(yes I have tasted my Evo, now I am the height of sadness :D)

Pondy,
Got any general tips on looking after A/C that I can stick in my FAQ's? (preferably with the reasons behind it).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the smelly air con problem and managed to cure it by doing the following....

1.Locate the rubber tube/bung/spout on the bulk head low down and check its clear.
2.Get a bottle of Sainsbury's Microban and squirt loads of it up the spout
3.leave for an hour and then Warm up the car engine
4.Put your heater fan on full blast at 32deg c with A/C on
5.and then spray about 1/4 of the bottle into the vents (outside)under the windscreen....
6.Open the car door and you will smell microban
7.Leave car running for 5 mins and every now and then spray some more MB into the vents (outside) under the screen.
8. Then open all your windows (otherwise they will trap moisture and steam up) and switch off the A/C but leaving the heater on full and at 32 degrees.

Leave for 5 mins and then shut your windows......

The idea now is to thoroughly dry the whole heating system.

If the windows do not steam up when the heating is set to 2 fan speed and 25 degs then you know all is dry.

Thats it job done.

Leave the car over night and all the bacteria will be dead !

Jonathan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts