Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats it all about then?

You have a what looks like a double socked size plate with a TV socket, Digital and FM on one side then on the other is a RJ45 and a phone socket.

Does it mean you only need 1 digi box etc and you can get digital in all rooms with the Smart wired conectors?

Thanks all

Jez

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Do you have a link? Googling provides an Australian page with no product details or wiring diagrams. It sounds like a standard structured cabling type install, but it would depend on which cables are connected how to what sockets.

Ie the phone socket will no doubt be series wired so that all phone sockets are connected together, and no doubt terminates at your consumer box (the BT or other provider box on the wall). If the RJ45 is intended as an ethernet presence then it will be parallel wired back to a patch panel (with or without an ethernet switch in the same rack) because ethernet does not do media sharing as part of the design, and needs a hub or switch to run more than one device.

To know what you can do with the "TV" (I'm assuming standard RF / aerial connector and a coax cable) and "Digital" (???) sockets I'd need to know how they are wired up in the trunking. I'm guessing the TV is series wired so you can share an aerial input (or Sky box or video that has RF out etc.) but I'm not sure what this Digital connector is ;)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Just with reference to Ethernet, you can have 2 devices and not 1 without a switch or hub because u can use a crossover cable between 2 machines.

:hammerhea

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Numpty

I'll try and get the manufacturers details

You can add cctv in to it also

Jez

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
h0bbsie said:
Just with reference to Ethernet, you can have 2 devices and not 1 without a switch or hub because u can use a crossover cable between 2 machines.

:hammerhea
Structured cabling (trunked wires running to ports on the wall) won't though because pretty much by definition it is not connected directly to any machines. It is always run either to terminated ends which plug directly into a switch, or to a patch panel. Someone might ask for a port to be wired up for crossover, but that would be the exception rather than the rule. I haven't seen one like that in any of the buildings I've had occasion to mess about with the cabling, certainly (and you can simply use a crossover patch cable on a straight wired port for the same effect) :)

Since I've only ever dealt with Cat5 terminated at RJ45 (ethernet and telco applications) I have no idea what the "industry standard" is when dealing with RF type coax or whatever is sitting behind the TV and Digital ports Jez has, although if he can dig up some product info I can make some educated guesses as to what they will be useful for ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Insbro

luke said:
Are you talking about the Global TV Link loftboxes?

Luke
Pass

The house specification says Smart wired and the panel is as I described - the person at the show home when we signed for the house normally worked at another site that isnt "smart wired" so she didnt know much about it.

I'll try and find out more when they are back on Thursday

Jez

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
It sounds like it may be some sort of X10 setup?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Take a pic of a wallbox with the ports and I can try to guess at what they are :D

If the TV and digital are standard aerial sockets (UHF range RF wired to coax in series) you can share an RF output among anyone in the house. Generally this means whatever active channel from a device (like the Sky box channel) and anything they pass-through (some cable boxes leave the terrestrial channels accesible on seperate frequencies, as well as the current box channel). If they use a DVI, S-Video, SCART or some other connector then I'm less sure of what you may be able to do without an idea of how they are wired :)

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Numpty

I'll get a pic on thursday if I can

The house does have a Digital TV aerial and Sat Dish on already.

Dave

Whats X10?

Jez

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Its a home automation system, to be honest Its something Ive only researched lightly. There is loads of stuff on the net about it though that will be more helpful than me!

It was the cctv cameras that made me suggest it. It allows wireless cctv, lighting control through your wiring, things like that iirc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well...

If it isn't then it's prob pretty close. Chances are it will mean you can have a Sky box in a central location and then with the use of magic eyes, control the sky from any of your other rooms.
Also you mention 'cctv' so again if you have this plumbed into it you will be able to access the cameras from all your tv's.
I fit systems like this so if you have any further questions feel free to PM me.

Luke

·
Registered
613 Posts
InsBro said:
Whats it all about then?

You have a what looks like a double socked size plate with a TV socket, Digital and FM on one side then on the other is a RJ45 and a phone socket.

Does it mean you only need 1 digi box etc and you can get digital in all rooms with the Smart wired conectors?

Thanks all

Jez
It's a bomb.
When you plug somethng in your house will blow up.

Or you could just plug your digi box in and try it ... :rolleyes:

;)

Sorry, just seems like a logical thing to try it.

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Re: Smart Wire in the house????

scoop said:
Or you could just plug your digi box in and try it ... :rolleyes:

;)
Sorry, just seems like a logical thing to try it.
I havent moved in yet otherwise I would try it :p

·
Registered
613 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Smart Wire in the house????

InsBro said:
I havent moved in yet otherwise I would try it :p
excuses, excuses, excuses :crackup:

It's a bloke thing, were duty bound to just dive in head first and blow the fecker up, thats what we do!

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is it

I'm wainting for the company info to appear :confused:

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Jeremy that is not a new product.

Global Communications have been providing these for over a year now.

john

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
skeletor said:
Jeremy that is not a new product.

Global Communications have been providing these for over a year now.

john
Well the house is 9 months old so thats about right (its a show home)

What does it and can it do?

Cheers John

Jez

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
At a guess, I'd say that any signal you feed to one of those aerial sockets (FM, TV or SAT) will then be present at all the other ones in the house. Short answer is that you should be able to share TV signals around the house :)

If the house already has a TV aerial fitted you'll probably find that it'll already be wired in to the TV socket. FM might already be wired to the TV aerial via a low pass filter, or may be wired to a seperate radio aerial, or may not be wired up to an existing aerial at all (unlikely but not impossible).

The satellite one I'm not sure about, it's the right sort of connector to plug most analog decoder boxes into but whether that will actually work depends on how much the catv cabinet kit (or satellite dish) has to do with signal pre-processing and equipment identification (something I'm not enormously familiar with I'm afraid). Worst case you'll be able to use it to distribute the output from the decoder at least. I seem to recall Duran being a satellite afficionado, he may be better placed to tell you whether sharing dish signals across multiple decoders is possible and what you'd need to look for.

I'd push the estate agent to try and get you some info about what exactly you already have as far as wiring goes (including asking either the previous tenants or the installer if it's a new install). If it was me, I'd have loft connections for the TV and FM feeds (marked as "TV input" and "FM input" probably so I don't forget what they are ;) ) so you can plug an installed aerial straight in to the distribution network, and another box somewhere in the house to plug the cable / dish output into the SAT one for distribution.

You may find all 3 (or 4 if you include the CCTV one) input connections are sat next to the patch panel, probably under the stairs or in a broom closet, if they aren't in the loft. Inline RF amps are faily cheap, it wouldn't surprise me if the TV and / or FM have an amp connected to the input before going off to the house wiring.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Jez the Global Socket you have in the picture can provide the following:

The sockets with three outlets is called a triplexer socket. It provides Sky Digital from one port, Terrestrial TV from one port (analogue and digital), FM Radio/DAB form one port.

The single outlet on the face plate is used as a rf loop back so that you can use the second rf output from you Sky Digital receiver to feed multiple locations within the property.

All the main incoming cables, Satellite, Terrestrial and FM should be run either to the loft or to the cental utility cupboard within the property. Normaly where the fuse board is.

All the incoming signal feeds will probaly be connected to a multi-switch that combines all the service on to a dedicated output per room. The triplexer on the front of the face plate then diplexes out each service in there particular frequency bands.

There is also a dedicated telephone outlet and RJ45 data outlet at each TV point. The telephone cables should be run back to a 251A or 301A telephone DP which is where BT will cross connect all your telephone services.
The CAT5 cable from the RJ45 sockets should also be run back to a 16 Port 1U RJ45 panel. This will enable networking of computer service around the house.
Both of these termination points should also be in the central utility cupboard.

I hope this helps.

John

1 - 20 of 27 Posts