Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the above, doesn't have to do much other than release the air locks on a scissor ramp, so shouldn't need much lung power. Something like a Clarke wiz or shh, or a Bambi would probably do.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for that, prices are good, but the db levels are a bit high at 80. The ones I'm looking at are in the 40s or 50s.......this will be used in a residential town house garage, and I'm trying not to give the neighbours any more to think about than I already have this past year with the racket from the ongoing house refurb!

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there any spec requirements for the air locks?

Stu
A guy I know who services the ramps says they only need maybe 3 bar.......the ramp manufacturer says twice that. I'll be amazed if it needs that much. I'm going to use the compressor I've got and experiment with how little I can get the locks to operate on, I'll have a better idea of what I can get away with. There's also the option of using the stored air on the ( too noisy ) current compressor to feed the small quiet one.

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
A guy I know who services the ramps says they only need maybe 3 bar.......the ramp manufacturer says twice that. I'll be amazed if it needs that much. I'm going to use the compressor I've got and experiment with how little I can get the locks to operate on, I'll have a better idea of what I can get away with. There's also the option of using the stored air on the ( too noisy ) current compressor to feed the small quiet one.
or charge a tank, then use that. Im not familiar with the air lock on ramps so not sure, but as it doesn't need much pressure, does it need much flow/volume?

Also (not helpful, just curious) why air locks, why not a mechanical lock?

Stu

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
or charge a tank, then use that. Im not familiar with the air lock on ramps so not sure, but as it doesn't need much pressure, does it need much flow/volume?

Also (not helpful, just curious) why air locks, why not a mechanical lock?

Stu
All the other ones I looked at were just held up by hydraulic pressure....it doesn't happen often, but they can drop a small amount when left for periods of time with a car on them. I can't risk that, as the front end of something else will be under it, and there's not much clearance.

The air lock is mechanical really, it's just a series of teeth with a bar that locks it any height you want, the air supply just lifts the bar up enough to allow it to clear the teeth and let the ramp lower.

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
I use hydraulics a lot in work, I take brief chances but agree, would want locks when under the car

So air pressure releases the locks?

You could use an air tank charged by your compressor (elsewhere) to release the locks. Also just a thought, would a 12v compressor be quieter than mains? As it only needs a small amount of air

Stu

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use hydraulics a lot in work, I take brief chances but agree, would want locks when under the car

So air pressure releases the locks?

You could use an air tank charged by your compressor (elsewhere) to release the locks. Also just a thought, would a 12v compressor be quieter than mains? As it only needs a small amount of air

Stu
Yeah, the compressor is only needed to let the ramp down, 30 seconds or so. I think I'm going to have to experiment a bit with the one I've got and find a minimum pressure they can be made to work with....dunno if a 12v one would have the stones for it, although there really isn't much resistance, you can lift the bars easily by hand when they aren't locked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts