Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks
Ok as title above says Im looking for some advice and opinions to my current issue.
Ok when I bought the car it was fitted with a cat back system and induction kit + dumpvalve. Ran sweet as a nut, pulled very cleanly through the rev range and no hiccups, sitting at 1.2 bar boost by a manual boost controller and seen on my boost gauge.
Starting to think I made the mistake by searching for more power as this is the story now.
Fitted 3" decat & 3" downpipe. Car started to overboost all over the shop. So when I left for holiday last friday the car went to Extreme in Whitburn to have 560cc injectors, walbro pump & a Mines ECU fitted.
Got it back today all fitted & Extreme diagnosed the overboosting to my actuator so a 2nd hand Evo 8 one was fitted. The manual boost controller was also removed as Extreme had said the ECU should now control the boost.
So drove home today and as Extreme said it was now boosting standard levels around 1 bar peak - 0.9 ish. **** the car felt slow but did run perfect. Very disappointed though after spending cash on all these parts only to have it feel so slow, nothing special about it at all.
So I fitted the boost controller again an hour ago drove around and its now set to approx 1.2 bar peak. Only thing is when I get to 2nd gear foot down its like the power is cut off for a split second and then comes back on again and again. Its not overboosting as it doesn't completely shut down like it did before. Im getting it booked in for a Rolling Road next week, Im thinking along the lines of overfueling maybe?? maybe Im way off??
Was hoping to come back to a car with maybe 30bhp more than I left but its actually slower. My luck is just Pooo.

Any ideas appreciated folks.

John

·
Premium Member
14,884 Posts
Which Mines ECU do you have, is this a version which is meant for the Evo 4 or the 5/6 ?

Standard injectors in the 4 are 510cc/min and owners only upgrade to the 560cc/min when they are running the Ecu from a 5/6. If the Mines ECU is for a 4 and has not been remapped (not sure who does them in the UK) then it will be overfueling.

I'd get my hands on an Evo 5 ECU if you can and get Extreme to flash/ecutek it for your injectors and modifications.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest I dont know :(
It was bought from a MLR member who ran it in his Evo 4 RS.

Ive got the standard injectors sitting so will fit them tomorrow see how that works.

John

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
if the boost has been set to 1 bar chances are its only been mapped to that.get it remapped for higher boost say 1.4-1.5bar you will notice a difference then.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Boost wasn't set to any specific amount. The Mines ECU is plug and play so its pointless having it if I am going to map it as its already got some map set up by Mines in the same way the Ralliart ECU works. It was running standard boost around 0.9 ish. My understanding is that the ECU should allow it to run 1.2 safely with the mods I have. Hopefully changing the injectors solves it am scratching ma head thinking of anything else.

John

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
its not going to make a difference in my opinion changing the injectors for the sake of 50cc size difference.check the plug gaps should be 0.6mm

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will check them out also when I have them out.

Cant understand Why it would it run perfect without the boost controller at 1 bar but as soon as the manual boost controller is there is does this?
Before I fitted the boost controller there were 3 pipes all connected to the T Piece. Its only the actuator & turbo pipes that get used on the manual boost controller yeah?? The 3rd pipe which is going to the airbox does nothing ?

Im clutching at straws here lol

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
if your using a manual boost controller it bypasses the cars boost solenoid.the pipe coming from the actuator goes into one side of the boost controller.the other pipe which i think links into the main boost pipe to the throttle body goes on the other side of the controller.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
my guesses is it sounds like overboost, with the manual boost controller fitted adjust it so the boost should be minimal, then a 1/4 turn back then try it, and keep just going 1/4 turn till you get your desired boost, also how long are the pipes going to boost controler? as the shorter these are the less boost spikes you will get,

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happy days I changed back to standard injectors and its running sweet. Touch wood its gonna run perfect and never cause any more bother again. Ever.

Well I can dream eh lol.

Thanks for all the responses folks.

John

·
Premium Member
14,884 Posts
Glad you got it sorted :smthumbup

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back again! lol

Was hoping to run the car 1.2/1.3 bar of boost with all the mods and Mines ECU but no matter how many turns of the MBC I do, it just seems to spike around 1.3/1.4 then holds around 1 bar.

Any ideas as to why this is?

How are you guys blocking off the unused pipe from the airbox when these devices are fitted as its only the actuator and turbo pipe that are being used on the MBC.

Gracias.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts