Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Wot's the consensus of opinion on adding Slick 50 into engine and/or gearbox.

I have used this before on my cars and have not noticed any great difference. Although it did allow me to run my Monte turbo dry of oil after holing the sump and had to drive the 5 miles home. The claim of reduced engine friction are probably not noticeable anyway but every little is worth having?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Had a m8 who added this 2 a Ford with rattling hydraulic lifters and I actually heard the things go quiet in about 90 secs !

Still don't trust miracle additives tho :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I poured Tecflow in my VR6 a while ago, and all the metal noises from the engine went away within seconds, never came back. It revved a little bit better / smoother. Not sure if this is good for turbo engines. What is Slick 50? Ceramic? teflon? Other stuff?

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure about using Slick 50. I've heard conflicting reports, from massive benefits
to blocked oilways. If it was any good surely the car manufacturers would be using it?

A 'similar' product called Mugen MT105 Engine Treatment Oil is for sale on the
Takakaira Site

Again, massive benefit claims... you pays yer money...
Alan.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I put Slick50 in my Evo4 23000 miles ago and the engine burns less oil now than when i got it.
The engine is smoother and so is the gearbox after filling with a combination of Slick50 and Ep75cas recommended (I do not have a LSD in the g'box)...............My girlfriend's 306 has Slick50 put in her G'box 6200 miles ago due to a noisey 3rd gear........Almost totally quiet now !!!!!

I Also had an Old 323i BMW which was bought with a noisey cam and rear diff at 54000 miles......
I put Slick 50 into both the engine and diff and all was quiet after 12000 miles...... The car went on to do 158000 and then I sold it !!

The above is the total truth based on my personal experiences...... I am not connected with Slick50 in any way.

I have always been V impressed

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I've been using Nulon products over the last 10 years on turbo charged Mitsubishis. As far as I understand they are the same sort of thing as Slick50 - the E30 Nulon product with the residual benefits that is. I treated my E3 with it at about 20,000km. From oil change to oil change I've never needed to top up my oil, even up to 10,000km. It's now done 63,000km. All the other cars had minor visible oil leaks at stages so can't comment on oil consumption on the rest.

The additives being relatively cheap and experiencing no negative effects at least, I'll still continue to use them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
If I am right I watched a yank program of this product or something similar ,and they ran the engine dry of oil and also froze an engine block [encased in Ice block]and the engine ran perfect once ice block was cracked open.very interesting stuff.
But as Evoboy mentioned ,and as I thought is this real or is it a load of gimmicky shite.
If not where can I get some ?

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Slick50 is PTFE (Teflon) based. Its available from Halfords for about £30 for engine and £15 for gearbox stuff. I'm going to put it in my TME (engine and gearbox). I'll let you all know if I see any radical or even noticeable results whether they are postive or negative.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I put Slick50 in my E3 at about 50,000K's, and I hate to say it but didn't notice squat.....maybe I wasn't paying attention and just having far too much fun driving :D

Hmm I might have to run the engine dry this weekend just to test it

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
1000th

You think that manufacturers would use Slick 50 or something if it were any good? I guess they would use forged connecting rods and pistons if they were any good and they would have a 6 speed gear box if that were any good as well, or maybe they would give you a radio if it were able to produce sounds.

Tsss....

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, so anyway Nulon is also similarly a teflon product but I think is cheaper. The E30 long lasting treatment is only about $35NZ or something. In tests a car treated with it was driven from Sydney to Melbourne at max. speed of 80 or 90km/h or something and with the sump empty and oil light on all the way of course.
Actually last year some main oil seal on my old ZR4 burst and I must have been driving it around for at least 5 to 10 minutes with hardly any or no oil in the sump. Stupid oil light didn't even come on that I noticed. It had been treated with Nulon though.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Claudius K

You're trying to wind me up...
Forged connecting rods and pistons for £30?

Can I have some...
6 speed gearbox? Radio? You'll be wanting the Civic Type-R then.

Seriously though, I get your point but I don't think I'll be using Slick 50 in my car.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Have decided against putting Slick50 into gearbox, although I have put it into engine. The reason being is that my car may or may not have a LSD centre diff which shares the gearbox oil. If your intertested see my thread on Gearbox/Transmission for details. If you're not interested then I'll go off into a corner and sulk......

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
alan, thanks for that, I think. Pretty damning against the use of Slick50 really in terms of potentially reducing oil flow.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting report. What I don't understand though is that if friction is reduced to the parts that help power and fuel economy then where is the supposed etra wear metal coming from??? I mean surely at some stage the power and reduced friction benefits would be lost and at that stage the wear would possibly start. But they didn't mention when or if at all the power gains e.t.c were lost. It doesn't quite add up - there must be more to the story and tests. The teflon is supposed to bond to the metal so even if there was a significant drop in pressure at a certain time then it should't matter. I mean the engine can be run with no oil pressure at all in theory and in practice in tests/trials after treatment.
Anybody have any thoughts about this????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts