Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
lol your budget and then maintenance budget will dictate what you go for quite easily.

a good R32 GTR will be 8-10k
33GTR 14-18k
and iirc 34's are still over 30k for a good one.

running them is easily equal to evos (petrol, insurance etc) and then for repairs there are 6 of everything instead of 4! lol

youve got loads of gts, gtst gtstt versions but i havent a clue on them! http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/index.php? is your best bet for (obviously) GTRs and www.skylineowners.com tends to cater for the rest.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Re: Re: Skyline

The 'best' Skyline might be considered the R34 GTR Z-Tune - currently yours for £80k+. This is the Skyline equivalent of the FQ400 - the best semi-official car ever produced but hugely expensive for what it is. The R33 Nismo 400R was somewhat legendary as well and also rare and expensive. I'm sure some people would consider it superior to the Z-Tune, just like some people prefer the Evo 6 Extreme to the FQ400.

As far as 'standard' cars go, the GTRs are in the main the only ones with the fancy electronic drivetrains and the RB26 (2.6) twin-turbo engines. The other variants (GTT, GTST) are mainly all rear-wheel drive (although there are exceptions like the GTS-4 I think) and they mainly use the RB25 (2.5) single turbo engines although there are some non-turbo variants (GTS, GTV) and some with a 2.0 engine!

The GTS vs GTR debate is never-ending. Some think the GTR is the only one worth having, others prefer the 'purist' approach of the GTS. Almost like the GSR vs RS camps on here.

The R32/33/34 debate is also never-ending, like our Evo 6/7/8 debate. Just like the 7, for some reason the R33 tends to be the least popular, presumably because it falls in between the 'classic' R32 and the more modern R34.

The V-Spec badge is pretty much just that - a badge. V-Spec cars (all GTRs) have a fancier diff and even harder suspension and a few other extra bits and bobs, but not a lot really. Some would say the non V-Spec cars are actually better on UK roads and the non V-Spec diff is claimed by some to be more robust for handling (very) high power.

Anyway, if you managed to read all that rubbish without losing the will to live then here's the important bit - if you're used to the thrust and agility of an Evo, as a driving experience you will probably be disappointed by anything other than a reasonably highly-tuned Skyline. If you're a shallow, vacuous individual like me then you might want to buy one anyway because you think they look nice; just don't expect it to feel particularly quick!

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Lengthmeister said:
Oh,that has somewhat stopped me in my tracks!!

time to get the thinking cap on again!

cheers :D
Thats exactly what stopped me :D

JC bought the one I test drove and was going to buy.

Jez

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Skyline

Colonel Mullet said:
The 'best' Skyline might be considered the R34 GTR Z-Tune - currently yours for £80k+. This is the Skyline equivalent of the FQ400 - the best semi-official car ever produced but hugely expensive for what it is. The R33 Nismo 400R was somewhat legendary as well and also rare and expensive. I'm sure some people would consider it superior to the Z-Tune, just like some people prefer the Evo 6 Extreme to the FQ400.

As far as 'standard' cars go, the GTRs are in the main the only ones with the fancy electronic drivetrains and the RB26 (2.6) twin-turbo engines. The other variants (GTT, GTST) are mainly all rear-wheel drive (although there are exceptions like the GTS-4 I think) and they mainly use the RB25 (2.5) single turbo engines although there are some non-turbo variants (GTS, GTV) and some with a 2.0 engine!

The GTS vs GTR debate is never-ending. Some think the GTR is the only one worth having, others prefer the 'purist' approach of the GTS. Almost like the GSR vs RS camps on here.

The R32/33/34 debate is also never-ending, like our Evo 6/7/8 debate. Just like the 7, for some reason the R33 tends to be the least popular, presumably because it falls in between the 'classic' R32 and the more modern R34.

The V-Spec badge is pretty much just that - a badge. V-Spec cars (all GTRs) have a fancier diff and even harder suspension and a few other extra bits and bobs, but not a lot really. Some would say the non V-Spec cars are actually better on UK roads and the non V-Spec diff is claimed by some to be more robust for handling (very) high power.

Anyway, if you managed to read all that rubbish without losing the will to live then here's the important bit - if you're used to the thrust and agility of an Evo, as a driving experience you will probably be disappointed by anything other than a reasonably highly-tuned Skyline. If you're a shallow, vacuous individual like me then you might want to buy one anyway because you think they look nice; just don't expect it to feel particularly quick!
i havr read in last month's sport compact car mag that the z tune GTRs are used ones , bought by nismo then stripped , moded ,etc... and then sold for 175K usd ???!!

i found it a lil strange !!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yup the z-tune is a conversion to a used car!

IIRC the base car had to meet certain criteria to be used?

lol @ suggesting a BlowDog-esque car.... might be a bit out of his budget! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.