Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car may be in storage this year and this would cover the next scheduled interim service in June.
Warranty expires in September.

What are the thoughts on skipping the June service and getting the car serviced when it comes out of storage in December?

This would be a year after the last service.

The storage company offer either road driving run ups or just static - would it be useful to do either/both of these of just leave the car "dead" for 10 months??

I'm erring towards a static run up (on axle stands) every 6 or 7 weeks.....

All sensible suggestions welcome :)

TIA

Steve

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I usually change the oil before storing it, and it never gets started until around March time, just get the relevant service done afterwards whether that be a major service or the 'timed' service. Mines missed the mileage services due to being off road for Winter.

·
TOO many posts.......
17,132 Posts
Agree with RS BOTT, when i bought my Tommi it had been stored for a year, again making it miss the milage service, but it was done just before it was stored, then when i bought the car from Extreme it had a FULL service..... :D :D

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,880 Posts
Bleesh said:
What are the thoughts on skipping the June service and getting the car serviced when it comes out of storage in December?
It's every 4500 miles *or* every 6 months. If it has been 6 months since the last service you need it serviced even if it has done 0 miles.

Best check on the 6 months though, I'm pretty sure it's 6.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Re: Re: Skip a service if car in storage???

Aidy said:
It's every 4500 miles *or* every 6 months. If it has been 6 months since the last service you need it serviced even if it has done 0 miles.

Best check on the 6 months though, I'm pretty sure it's 6.
what rubbish!

if it is in storage and it isn't being driven you don't need to service it if warranty has gone anyway. If you are extending the warranty you will need to keep within the service intervals.

If would as others suggest service it immediately after taking it out of storage.

The main issue with leaving a car to stand is drying out of oil in the wheel bearings and decomposition of the engine oil from contaminants.

If you don't drive the thing these don't matter one iota.

But make sure it is serviced immediately when you reactivate, preferably before starting it and moving it anywhere.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
aidy,

normally cars are not put into storage, so manufacturers have to state a service interval for guidance.

They have to state a time and a mileage limit because mileage can vary, and the fluids that change degreed with both mileage and with time.

If the car is not being used _at all_ then the fluids have no purpose. You could strip the car down to no fluids, and appart from corroding rubber seals, it would not matter as the moving parts are not moving.

6 months non use over winter will not be long enough for proper corrosion of anything.

Mitsubishi have to cover their backs and also set a baselines standard of care in order that warranty claims can be honoured, not to mention that they need to make money which they do in bucket loads on servicing!

Just because they state something, does not mean it should be blindly followed you have to consider their motives when recommeding service intervals.

If you track your car everyday, their intervals will NOT be sufficient, but they don't state that, do they? just like they don't state special rules for when the car is completely unused, covering no miles.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
I only do 1500-2000 miles per year and no way am i getting it serviced every 6months.Once a year at mot time is enough in my opinion.
Besides it's miles to cpp and unless yopu can hang around all day it's a week and 4 trips!

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for all of the replies people.

Interesting reading, but I am erring towards getting it serviced/MOT'd (cos that runs out as well) all at the same time before I pick it up again.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts