Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm silver_rs's brother and I'm posting a message about his car (Lancer GSR RS).

After Trax and a few sprints, its not ticking over right on idle and reving it around 4000 causes problems. He's also saying that there is a 'funny' smell from the exhaust. Problem is he's traveling from Bristol to Hull and he's a little worried.

Any ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks Bro,
Anyway Im home, so no real worries. Sounds like a cylinder is not firing at tick over and when pulling through 4000 revs slight hesitation, but does not feel like fuel cut. Nothing else is wrong, still pulls alright and no smoke.
Werid thing is that the smell of the exhaust is unbelieveble, makes your eyes water.
Anyway I think it is either faulty spark plug as they only got changed on Tuesaday and it started then and getting worse, but now levelled of.
Or could be crap fuel, put some of that Optimax stuff in, plus octane booster.
Going to check sparks tomorrow plus run fuel low as possible and then re fill,
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That'll be those £50 HKS plugs no doubt :D

Seriously, if it weren't for the 4k hesitation (and the pong) I'd blame the idle control motor, it does sound like a ignition problem though. Stick in an old set of NGKs and see if it goes away?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also check that the HT leads were put back on the full way as they came come apart when removing the leads

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right,
There dosnt seem to be a problem, the uneven idleing could be due to the SQV Dump valve, do to increase in boost maybe be not closeing properly or ECU is still learning after being disconnected.
Hesitation could be due to the fuel pump being overworked espically as around 4000 revs is its peak power.

No detination so hopefully everything will run ok
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You still running 1 bar boost ?
Moost BOV's have an adjusting screw to tighten the spring force inside (to stop them leaking)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still running 1 bar, but when I turned down the boost still had same problem. I think it is due to the HKS plugs, for some reason could be they're becoming clogged. Juddering and hesitation were always worse when car had been stood or having to move in heavy traffic, after a while they got better, but still could feel the hestiation slighty. So yesterday put in a set of £12 NGK and the problem has gone away, dont know if it a faulty plug, or just that their so fine that they are becoming fouled. They were OK until I went round silverstone, about two weeks after I put them in and the problem getting worse.
I have also noticed with the HKS the engine ticks over at around 810 rpm |PLS| or - 6 rpm with NGK, while when the HKS were it was hunting between 730 to 760 contiually. The dump is an HKS SQV so should be now problems, but they do sell the rev stabiliser with so their not perfect.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hesitation could be due to the fuel pump being overworked espically as around 4000 revs is its peak power.

I hope you don't have PEAK power at 4000 rpm - peak torque maybe - but I hope peak power is at around 6000rpm.

BTW - check all your engine earth leads - I had a poor idle for ages then discovered one of the earth straps for the inlet manifold wasn't connected - instant idle improvement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts