Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
How does an Evo 2 and an Evo 3 compare in on road performance overall? If I could get a 3 for about 10% higher price than a 2, would it be the better option if they are in similar condition? They are all pretty rare in Australia.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Both great cars.
But I would look more at the shape of the car. And modifications to the car.
Shocks , springs , engine stuff and anything else they have down.
-Look for someone upgrading to a newer Evo.
Why??? means someone loved it and will love the next one
-Look for one with alot of upgrades
Why???if you add up the total purchase price(parts) plus installation it will probably be one/third to one/eighth of new.Good bargain in my books.

Seats and interior stuff is easy to swap out , but mechanical stuff takes time and lots of money. So look for (good)mechanical upgrades.

Now comes the final thing .

Why are you buying the car ?
Looks , speed , racing .
If racing , what type of race ? What class are you going in? Study what is allowed in each class. I screwed up a few times and blew stacks of money getting them into the proper class.
If looks , that is up to you.
If speed or racing , choose something with great suspension and you will beat everything by keeping more control of your car at faster speeds. Most accidents are caused by loss of control.
Suspension and 16 inch tires are what to look for.
17 inch are a waste of money. 17`s are great handling and look good but you can replace more 16`s then you can with 17`s and new tires are what allow you to go fast.

If you really like the look of the Evo3 then the easiest thing to change on the Evo2 would be the front bumper. A Evo3 lookalike but at a discount price.

Robert VanLane
TakeTomboRacing

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
The car will be mainly for the road.The 2 and 3 that I want to look at are both as original I believe. What I wanted to know was, do they have similar perfomance, and would I be better off getting the 2, and spending the difference on upgrades? What improvements did the 3 have over the 2? I reckon the 3 looks a bit meaner, but sometimes it's better to look a bit less conspicuous.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Look in The cars section at the top of the page. Look in model info . There is a buyer's guide. Evo 3 comes in yellow (mmmmm). 3's are very rare in UK, but look more like an Evo. Watch for 2's that are tarted up with 3 cosmetics, just to bump price up!

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
The 2 has a lower compression piston and the 3 is a little higher. 8.5 vs 9.0.
Which is better ?
The higher compression gives a slight increase in power but they had a small problem of overheating.
In the Evo4 they went back to the 8.5 compression. But in the newer Evo`s they upped it to 9.0 again.
Now performance wise , they are very much the came.
The Evo3 I think are still alittle bit too high in price , I would go for a Evo2.
Importing thru a company might be a better way of going. I talked to a importer last night and he said he was sending them out landed in Australia for under $10,000Aus . which seems a bit low. Probably more like $15,000Aus.
A Evo2 in Japan right now is going for between 300,000-1,200,000yen .
But the Evo3 is starting at about 1,000,000yen and up.

A local shop has one of the fastest Evo`s in Japan running 9.5 or so and he uses a Evo2.

But look around more and buy a good one with a good suspension like Ohlins. It was a common upgrade in Japan and they are an excellent shock far superior to most and totally rebuildable. So if you ever decide to get into a little racing , you can send them to the factory , revalve them , shorten the stroke or if you want to Rally you can lengthen the stroke. Ohlins springs are a standard size so it is real easy to upgrade to a harder or longer or shorter spring. Also because the shocks and springs are adjustable you can race on Sundays and drive to work on Mondays and not have your kidneys or bladder turned into Jelly because of the stiff ride.

Robert VanLane
TakeTomboRacing

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I reckon I will buy a 2, as they look a bit more stealth (just like my Vr4) I am going to have a look at another one this weekend hopefully. The place has e-mailed me some pics and it looks in excellent condition with only 40,ooo km on the clock. I think it is fairly stock and looked after. I don't want one that has been abused and thrashed. I don't think there are to many to choose from. If anyone knows of any for sale in Australia, please e-mail me.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I drove 750 km to check out the 2. It looked very nice, but when I drove it, there was a lot of driveline noise. It has obviously been thrashed. At the same place, they had a really nice 3 with only 39,000km on it.
I took that for a drive and it when a fair bit harder than the 2 and it drives really nice. Its in top condition and has aftermarket lowered suspension, 3 exhaust,HKS filter and a front strut. After some negotiating, I paid only $3k AUD more that they had on the 2. I'm really happy. :) :) :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations.

If it is a car from Japan , the first thing I do is do a full oil and change all liquids.

Why???

Japanese cars have low mileage but alot of city driving , short distances and not alot of oil changes.

Robert VanLane
TakeTomboRacing

PS If you change all the liquids then at least you know for sure when it was done and when the next time should be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts