Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of an Engine Damper for my IX, which I thought would be hydraulic (being a damper). Upon quick inspection it just seems to be an adjustable threaded metal tube that once fitted would be totally rigid :confused:

Am I expecting too much, is this right?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Put up a pic....i couldn't shift the one i bought between my hands BUT then again my left hand isn't an engine and my right is not a car-body....;)

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
It may have a poly bush inside the housing which absorbs the shock & load of the engine. You should not be able to compress it by hand either way!:smthumbup

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
This sounds perfectly feasible. A design similar to how they used to make mountain bike shocks, with elastomer dampers...

Paul
It may have a poly bush inside the housing which absorbs the shock & load of the engine. You should not be able to compress it by hand either way!:smthumbup

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a just a metal tube with a piece of PU inside :thumbdown , not really what I had in mind for the price! (Can't see it gaining anything apart from vibration)

Anyone got a hydraulic engine damper for sale???

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Im using a Silk road item, bought it from funky power 2 years ago for around £100ish quid. dunno if its any different but seems to do ok. given the positioning of where the damper sits on an evo, i dont think it really does alot, the Blox stoppers probably do more work due to the positioning in relation to engine roll...

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This one by Funky Power is also a Nylon/PU insert:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260370521020&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Do you get much vibration? Can you feel any difference in movement etc?

Im using a Silk road item, bought it from funky power 2 years ago for around £100ish quid. dunno if its any different but seems to do ok. given the positioning of where the damper sits on an evo, i dont think it really does alot, the Blox stoppers probably do more work due to the positioning in relation to engine roll...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
This one by Funky Power is also a Nylon/PU insert:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260370521020&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Do you get much vibration? Can you feel any difference in movement etc?
I do get a tad of vibration but thats my car since ive owned it, but I didnt feel a huge amount of difference if im honest, as i said, i feel its postioning is not where it would make a lot of difference. for example, try and stop a door near the hinge, its near impossible. now try it near the edge by the handle, its a million times easier. i feel in that comparison, the damper is too near a hinge to make any real real difference, hence why it doesnt really matter that its not hydraulic.
Im not saying im 100% correct on this but its my view on it thinking rationally.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is true, but I would have thought the drive being low down down the exaggerated movement would then be at the top of the engine and that this would stabilize that???

I should imagine the the compression of the nylon/pu inside this tube would be non existent, hence making this just a brace instead of a "damper"

I do get a tad of vibration but thats my car since ive owned it, but I didnt feel a huge amount of difference if im honest, as i said, i feel its postioning is not where it would make a lot of difference. for example, try and stop a door near the hinge, its near impossible. now try it near the edge by the handle, its a million times easier. i feel in that comparison, the damper is too near a hinge to make any real real difference, hence why it doesnt really matter that its not hydraulic.
Im not saying im 100% correct on this but its my view on it thinking rationally.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
maybe 'brace' is a better way to describe it then, I would agree it does prevent a small amount of movement but i dont think the engine would move enough at the dampers mounting point to see any real noticable difference from having one fitted. Ideally, if I could see on a rolling road my cars engine movement at full chat both with and without the damper, id be able to see just how much the engine does move, but from the little views ive seen at standstill, it really doesnt make a huge impact. Ive yet to fit my Blox stopper to compare any difference with the two items fitted..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts