Lancer Register Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
actEVO
As I'm sure I've mentioned before (!), all the petrol in your area will come from 1 or 2 refineries at the most. That's right, BP, Shell, Texaco, Esso, Sainsburys, Uncle Joes Low-Kost Gas - all of 'em get their fuel from the nearest refinery, it's simply too expensive to do anything else. Besides, how do you think all the companies that don't have refining operations in the UK (Sainsburys, Q8 etc. and even Esso) get their fuel?

The only concerns that you might have with a lower turnover station is that the fuel is degrading (losing octane rating) in the tanks, if no-one if filling up with SUL at your Sainsbuys then this might be that case - it is always wise to use busy trunk route or intersection garages to fill up to minimise this.

SUL in this country has to have minimum RON of 97 and as it leaves the refinery it is approximately 97.2-97.5 to ensure compliance with statute.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Chunky, on normal unleaded it says 91ROZ 95RON on the pumps on the petrol stations here... I'll have another look today, but I'm 99% sure that's what it says... Also on my company car it says 95ROZ/98RON so I suppose there must be some difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
SUL pumps at our saisburys are pretty popular. Don't mind waiting for em so much now if it means my fuel will be in tip top condition due to freshness!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I just checked my Bosch Automotive Handbook ('the bible'!) and it has no mention of ROZ - only RON, MON and FON. Research Octane Number, Motor Octane Number, Front Octane Number. The German DIN standards use RON.

I too will check the local Shell station here in Northern Germany when I fill up with Optimax next week.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks Chunky for the info! - Sorry you have said all this before.
This highlights the need for a All you need to know about... section on the forum where really useful info can be 1, reviewed by moderators and then 2,posted long -term for the benefit of all members with the same questions. -What do you think??
FYI, the tech advisor at Wynns says there may be a difference in the detergent and amp; dispersant package in supermarket fuel, (if not in RON rating) which has caused BMW some grief in the UK due to engine corrosion problems with cheap SUL --so maybe there are some differences...??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I am Australia,
we have optimax. The price increased by 3 cents per litre. This was due to the increased refining of the fuel.
Unlike chunky said I have heard of no engine deaths due to this fuel. BP has also bought out a fuel as have caltex.
The BP fuel is meant to be of better quality. The fuel does assist in turbo cars.

My 2 cents worth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just been doing some research on the Optimax fuel whilst on a trip to Cornwall and back (A303 - and amp;gt; M5 - and amp;gt; A30).

I deliberately filled up at Shell stations along the way, and when asked all but one station told me that they had already switched to Optimax in their Super tanks. The only exception was down in Cornwall, where they don't expect to have deliveries of the fuel until December 2001/January 2002. Apparently, this is due to storage and delivery problems for outlying areas.

I also noticed that some of the tills have stickers on them giving the staff information on Optimax, and what to tell customers when asked about it.

So far, none of the staff was able to tell me what octane level the fuel is (and the information stickers don't say either).

From a purely personal standpoint, I did think that the car ran a bit smoother and the fuel economy was slightly (and I do mean, slightly) better.

Andy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I was just talking to some people who make race gas 100 octane stuff and they said that certain petrol companies use ethanol(?) in their products and that supposedly degrades the performance.
One of them is supposedly Shell.

It's all hearsay though, unless someone can do a chemical analysis of it.

Are there kits out there that we can use to determine octane level of petrol ?
I really dislike ending up with crappy gas.

Thanks

- ron

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.