Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have inside knowledge that SUPER UNLEADED is being stoped by SHELL at least.. I cant quite remember the name of the fuel replacing it, begins wih MAX summit! I will be finding out exactly what the RON level is and the proper name of the replacment fuel on friday.. When i do i will post here.. I have been told to keep this quiet, but i was shocked! http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >)

Dunno if anyone else knows about this, but thought i would post it here anyway!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and I have inside knowledge that the Zulus are going to invade Poland... there have been reports about stuff like that before. What Shell is probably doing (if anything) is to replace SUL with Shell Optimax, which has a higher octane rating (99 ROZ in Germany) than normal SUL (which is 95 ROZ) here. The other petrol stations have something called Super Plus with 98 ROZ.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THats the one, couldnt quite remeber the name of the fuel, it is optimax and they will be stopping SUL.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,

Stop me if i am wrong but if Shell stop SUL and sell Optimax.. isn't that better for us in UK as its a higher RON... SUL is currently only 97 RON.. Optimax is 98 RON isn't it ?

Jevo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys,

Stop me if i am wrong but if Shell stop SUL and sell Optimax.. isn't that better for us in UK as its a higher RON... SUL is currently only 97 RON.. Optimax is 98 RON isn't it ?

Jevo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hehe, Shell Optimax has been on sale in other markets for quite a while now, it's even been blamed for premature Lancer engine deaths in Australia. Although it's primarily just a rebranding exercise, they make some super-duper whizzo claims about it (remember Formula 2000? Thought not, and neither do Shell UK by the sounds of it!).

Bottom line - All your fuel comes from the same refineries, whether the individual companies add 'pixie dust' once it has left Stanlow/Grangemouth/Pembroke etc. is for them to know and us to guess about (I doubt it).

SUL is NOT being withdrawn, if I had £5 for every time this has come up on these forums I would have....well, um about 20 quid, but you get the picture.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chunky,

SUL IS being replaced by optimax in ALL shell Garages in the near future.. As one of my Freinds works at a high level in SHELL petrolium and IS going to a big confrence about it on Friday.. I am not saying that SUL will stop , but SHELL will be changing from SUL to OPTIMAX...

I will have ALL the details on friday i hope, when i speak to him!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, OK. Asda is to stop selling onions. Instead they'll sell things that are grown like onions, look like onions, smell like onions and cost the same as onions but they'll be called 'Frubs'. Does that mean Asda has truly stopped selling onions? http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > Don't believe the hype, Shell's boffins haven't reinvented the wheel, rather cleaned it up a bit and stuck a new badge on it [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

This Optimax thing has been on the cards for a while, I'm surprised we haven't gotten it sooner. I thought the only reason we hadn't is because of the last time they tried to rebrand their fuel they ended up with egg on their face. I can only assume a relatively painless introduction in Germany last year paved the way for it's UK introduction. It'll be interesting to see how people react to the separate nozzle, and more importantly, the extra price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Around the 24th of next month Shell garages around the UK will be letting their SUL tanks run low, then introducing the OPTIMAX petrol, the tanks will need at least 3 proper fills before the whole thing becomes 100% OPTIMAX..
OPTIMAX is 98|PLS| RON .. Like Ckunky sais, could still be the same stuff as SUL, but i would say it has to be a little better..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sainsbury's have supplied my car with SUL since I got it. Competitive prices and if you shop there weekly you can get 1,2,3,4,5 pence per litre off vouchers.

not wanting to start a war but surely Shell can't badge their 'new' fuel as 98RON if its the same stuff as super everywhere else which probably even struggles to be 97RON really.

Jon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the optimax crap is only for euro right?
right here in Hong Kong we have something named V-Power. rated at 98 SUL.
oh its by Shell

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't say Optimax is crap in Germany, it's got 99ROZ, not RON. As a comparison 91ROZ (Regular in Germany) has a rating of 95RON, Super has 95ROZ which is 98RON (I think).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Michael K
ROZ stands for Research Oktan Zahl, a direct translation of the English Research Octane Number and all my information tells me it is exactly the same.

I don't think Optimax is crap (with reservations about the problems in Australia) but as it has to comply with relevant UK and EU standards it could hardly deviate much from normal SUL. As BS7800 only specifies a minimum RON and MON rating however, it could quite easily contain much more providing it sticks within the benzine, distillation and other limits.

It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does anyone know for sure (ie has facts!) if SUL from Sainsburys etc has a different RON spec to full price SUL from Shell etc? Not really knowing there was a possible difference, I had just filled my Evo7 (standard max boost 1.3 bar-did you know that..)with Saino's SUL before getting it checked over by Mark Shead of MAD. He found (ie could hear thro' headphones ) evidence of detonation at highish revs on full load. This was eliminated with a dose of octane booster. He recomended we repeat the test using Shell SUL to see if the problem goes away...this yet to be tested. The moral is: 97ish RON may be marginal for a Jap spec 7, and do not even think about ordinary unleaded (which I DON'T),and maybe not all SUL is quite the same...Does anyone know for sure?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts