Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone any views/knowledge of this new fuel from Shell, it seems to have replaced super unleaded completly.
anyone tried it ??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It has more octanes..98.2 I think is the correct value. Potentially smoother running and peace of mind regarding detonation

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a few threads on here regarding Optimax, have a wee search about. There is plenty about it on Shell's website too.

My opinion after 2 tankfuls was that is is better than other SULs and considering it is the same price as the SUL it replaces at Shell stations you can't really go wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here in italy shell optimax petrol is called V-power,is rated 99 octanes and was introduced 6 months ago.
My evo6 rs2 run smoother and the power output increased a lot!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found it made a big difference in my M5 - which is adaptive to higher octane. The EVO doesn't adapt to different octanes automatically, so you won't notice any difference. GOod petrol as far as I can see...

Got a nice key ring too from Shell!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As posted on another thread, Ralliart has tested Optimax on a rolling road. The used both the 7 Extreme and Extreme S. First the cars were driven on normal SUL. Then they were run dry, filled up with Optimax and run for a while to ensure no contamination. Then the cars were tested again. The difference was 4 and 5 bhp and 5 ft/lbs of torque. I wonder if any other members of the Evo trade has bothered to test this or whether this is just another example of why it is worth paying Ralliart for its efforts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eeek! Brave man Simon, hope you got your extinguisher ready for the flames! As far as Optimax is confirmed, I have noticed a big difference in my M5 vs using SUL.

Not tried it on the E6 yet...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi Blade,

Please, try it once!! Since OPTIMAX is available in Austria (1 year) I ONLY use this fuel! The car runs much smoother and is noticeably faster over 5000 revs...Especially when its hot I can feel the difference.

If you have programmed your ECU, why have you not mapped it on OPTIMAX? Then the power gain will be sure! Don´t you think?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
who sets the pump price of this stuff? I have noticed it ranged from 80.4p/l to 84.9 p/l is it shell oil or the greedy forecourt owner?. How do shell expect to make money when they spend a fortune on marketing and advertising then charge up to 5p/l more than standard SUL. It will never grab the standard everyday customer in his ford focus...no point..only ***** like us who think 5bhp is worth having? and spend far to much money on performance cars...yes we are the minority here folks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The standard ECU compensates for different octane fuel through the knock sensors, but that's only if it detects knock. As far as the Ralliart test: doesn't sound to scientific unless they ran the cars in exactly the same conditions, which I doubt, because that running dry and so on stuff will take a while which means that the ambient temperature, humidity, etc. will have changed, therefore making the whole test invalid. The whole thing sounds to me like those companies that claim powergains through some oil additives and post some powergraphs from cars without all the relevant data. I think this just proves how marketing driven Ralliart are.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chinka,
I don't know about the 5 bhp increase in power (can anyone really feel if there car has 5 bhp extra!!!!) but I've noticed an increase in mpg and can now get about 220-230 miles out of a full tank compared to about 190-200 on normal SUL. And the price I pay for it is 79.9p/litre which is cheaper than all other super unleaded around here. As a result, I don't buy it for the power increase but I buy it so that I can drive a bit further on a full tank for less money. Sounds sensible to me......

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is one more important attribute:

OPTIMAX does not have sulphur! This is certainly very healthy for the engine, keeping it clean...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Andy

That justifies my point, how can you buy it cheaper than everywhere else? (where are you) when I have to pay 5p more than esso SUL 600yds up the road. I live in a small suffolk town and pay 84.9. I stopped on the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon last weekend and paid 80.4p dont make sense cosidering its cheaper by a dual carriageway. Maybe its because we have a tesco up the road and standard fuels are lowered in order to compete? but Tesco don't stock SUL so..!! oh balls who cares it probably only amounts to about 2 quid per fill up. a price worth paying if it really helps keep the car in half decent order? and mpg is up? cant imagine extra 30 miles per tank though?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chinka,
I'm up in Altrincham and we have two Shell garages up here about 2 miles apart from each other and both of them have Optimax at 79.9. Guess I'm just the lucky one.
As far as the mpg goes, I'm just quoting what I've found. Obviously the journies weren't identical on the two tests and so my right foot will have made a difference but the fuel consumption has definitely improved.

Try it yourself and see if it makes a difference.

As for why the price differences I don't know. I suppose its down to what Shell feel they can get away with charging in the different areas. One thing I would say is that make sure you get your Optimax from a fairly busy garage and that way you can guarantee that the petrol stocks are reasonably fresh and haven't been sat there for weeks without being used.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same here, two garages both charging 79.9 per litre, cheaper than normal SUL.
The car does seem to go much better...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Michael

There are times when you prejudices allow you to post things without engaging your thinking properly. Can you explain how Ralliart are going to gain out of carrying out a private test, not publishing the results but only telling a few real customers. The mistake I have made is sharing the info with everybody because I am sure that Ralliart would rather nobody new than have some opinionated ****** post something like you have done.

The bottom line is that just about everybody has felt a difference from this fule that is of a higher octane than any other available. Ralliart have nothing to do with Shell. It has been Shell's claims that the fuel is better, not Ralliart's. All they did was attempt to test this claim. I can see no motive. But then again, I am sure you would knock everything they do. Fair criticism is one thing, such as the issue over the brakes, taking a pop at them at evry opportunity is just being a pratt and adds no value to the forum. next time I hear something of interest from Ralliart, I am not sure I will bother to post it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Simon,

I think there's also the case of you sucking up and bigging up Ralliart at every opportunity. How ridiculous is that? Are you in love with them? Or do you get a pat on the head everytime (doesn't matter how ridiculous) you post how great they are?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Michael,

We know you hate them. We KNOW... you have been vocal on this subject at every opportunity. And although I appreciate your desire to inform us newbie scrubs so we don't make the same mistake, I will personally be waiting for them to Fsck up *before* I stop using them. After all, they are official tuners for Mitsubishi vehicles, and are a worldwide company, so you at least have some comeback.

The sharing of information is the whole reason forums like this exist, but opinions do differ, so don't expect all of us to wholeheartedly agree to everything someone says.

Just my tuppence...

The Scrub

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
don't have a problem with Ralliart, just think they're vastly overpriced. I do have a problem with PE and with people that use every opportunity to advertise whoever it is. I don't rave on about the people I think are good in every single posting that I write like f.e. xxx even made me a cup of tea while I was waiting, I think that goes to show how well they know the Lancer and how great they are and I think I want to have a child of one of their mechanics!! I love them!! P.S: Their service is super!! or something like that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts