Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned 2 x E5GSR and now an E6GSR and all suffer from (what I feel is) poor steering response. I've tried all manner of geometry setup and the car is now fitted with the following:

3-point front upper brace
5-point front lower brace
2-point rear brace
Ralliart springs on standard shocks
2-degree neg camber front, 1mm toes-in

As far as I'm aware, there is no adjustment in the rear geometry on the 6GSR, but I have had the alignment checked and the thrust angle is straight up the center-line of the car.

I still feel that there is not the immediate response from the steering that I would like. In fact it's not just a slowish response, but a little understeerie.

Can anyone suggest a way forward?

Here's hoping :)

Cheers,
Calum

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may well be expecting too much, but I'm comparing it to the immediate response you get from either a kart or a bike.

I didn't realise the TME had a quicker rack. That may well be what I need. Smaller steering wheel or lower profile tyres may also help, so could different anti-roll bars.

Does anyone know if a TME rack would fit an E6GSR?

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
You can fit a TME or RS rack to the GSR, but it's not a small job and parts can be expensive. Does make a noticeable difference to the amount of steering input, but won't make the car turn in any better.

It's probably not fair comparing a 1400kg Evo to a kart or bike, it's never going to react as quickly.

I've found good semi-slick tyres, decent suspension and an uprated front diff are the things that have made the biggest difference to turn in for me. Getting the geometry set up correctly and especially corner weighting the car can change the feel dramatically.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Anti-roll bars & Poly bushes seemed to make a hell of a difference on my 6, just doing the same to the 8 now..

Rob

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave, Lee, Rob,

It sounds like I should swap my GSR for an RS or TME and then go for uprated anti-roll bars and poly bushes.

Thanks for all your help.... in the meantime I'll need to be reasonably realistic about what I should expect I guess.

Cheers,
Calum

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Bushes and Roll bars not that expensive and make a difference big time.
My old car was a GSR with an RS diff conversion, try that before you trade for an RS/TME!

Let me know if you need any info.

Rob

·
Premium Member
Jesus built my car
38,798 Posts
DaveG said:
I've found good semi-slick tyres, decent suspension and an uprated front diff are the things that have made the biggest difference to turn in for me.
:fftopic: What have you done with your front diff?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rob,

Can you tell me what spec of anti-roll bars you went for and where would you recommend getting the bars and poly bushes?

:)

Calum

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,801 Posts
calumski said:
As far as I'm aware, there is no adjustment in the rear geometry on the 6GSR, but I have had the alignment checked and the thrust angle is straight up the center-line of the car.

I still feel that there is not the immediate response from the steering that I would like. In fact it's not just a slowish response, but a little understeerie.

Can anyone suggest a way forward?

Here's hoping :)

Cheers,
Calum
The rear suspension set-up on the 6 is fully adjustable, perhaps this is where your problem lies. If you have a lot of toe-in on the rear it will make the car stable, reduce twitchiness and make the car feel less inclined to turn in quickly.

Try 1 Degree of TOE-OUT on the rear and see if this makes any difference.

Apart from that, try what Dave has said.

BTW, what tyres are you using as these will make a massive difference to turn in?

·
Registered
710 Posts
DaveG said:
Smaller steering wheel? LSD?

What are you comparing an Evo to response wise?
Dave...you have baffled me ! ( doesn't take alot..I know :D )

How would a smaller steering wheel improve steering response ?? :confused:

The gear ratio is fixed. X revolutions of the pinion = Y translation of the rack.

All a smaller steering wheel would achieve is more steering input to achieve a given steering angle.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what tyres? Now there's an interesting and subjective topic. I actually fitted Mitchelin PS2s and hated them. The side wall is too soft (great for wet grip and overall comfort but crap for steering response). What I've done is buy some of the surplus Evo 8 wheels off the MLR and stuck the 225x45x17 PS2s on them. The rims are half an inch wider than the Super Turismos on the 6GSR and they load up the tyre side walls so they respond better. Still far from perfect, especially on the brakes, but better than chucking teh tyres in the bin (the only other option).

I would normally use Goodyear Eagle F1 (the old stylee).

Have you a tyre to suggest Clive?

Cheers,
Calum

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
calumski said:
Rob,

Can you tell me what spec of anti-roll bars you went for and where would you recommend getting the bars and poly bushes?

:)

Calum
Hi Calum

On the 6 I used Cusco's Bars and Powerflex bushes, for my new car I am using Do-Luck Bars and Bushes.

You can get them from me either way.

Rob

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,801 Posts
calumski said:
what tyres? Now there's an interesting and subjective topic. I actually fitted Mitchelin PS2s and hated them. The side wall is too soft (great for wet grip and overall comfort but crap for steering response). What I've done is buy some of the surplus Evo 8 wheels off the MLR and stuck the 225x45x17 PS2s on them. The rims are half an inch wider than the Super Turismos on the 6GSR and they load up the tyre side walls so they respond better. Still far from perfect, especially on the brakes, but better than chucking teh tyres in the bin (the only other option).

I would normally use Goodyear Eagle F1 (the old stylee).

Have you a tyre to suggest Clive?

Cheers,
Calum
Sounds like the majority of your problem is the tyre you are using has a soft sidewall. This will definitely give you a sluggish turn-in.

If you want great response and grip try a semi-slick tyre like the Dunlop D01J or the new 02's.
The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, Avon ZZR, Bridgestone RE070, Toyo R888 are all a similar type of tyre as they have a very stiff sidewall and a tread pattern and compound optimised for dry grip.

Look in the Wheel/Tyre section as there are plenty of posts on the subject.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, I've done a bit more investigation. If I'm going to go to the time and effort of fitting bars and bushes, I'm going to have a quicker rack too, so looks like I would be well advised to get a TME, which I've always wanted anyway. Thanks to all for all your help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts