Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings all ;) First post here so be gentle with me :D I have done a search but didn't find anything directly related so here goes. Is it possible that warped hubs/disks on an Evo V will make the steering shake when doing 70-80mph? Shake dissappears if you push on and also below 70mph. (I also have some brake judder) Car has done 35k and AFAIK they are the original hubs. The disks and amp; pads were replaced 10k ago but that never got rid of the shake so I can only assume it's the hubs. Tracking and amp; geometry is spot on according to MAD but the shake remains. Could one of my wheels be out of shape?

Any suggestions would be very welcome! Apologies if you are all sick of this subject :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Warped brakes normally only make the steering wheel shake when you brake. You did not state whether the steering wheel shakes under braking or while driving without braking. If you steering wheel shakes without braking, I would think you damaged a wheel or have a flat part on one of your tires, ie. when you've locked the brakes while doing some speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the wheel shakes doing 70-80mph without braking and I also get brake judder. Don't ever recall locking a wheel to flatspot a tyre.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you use the standard discs and OZ wheels

if you use aftermarket discs with thicker bell youre wheels don t centrate anymore that could be the cause for shaky steering

brembo bell is 6.5 mm

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you are a mechanical dunce but i am english writing dunce:)

but i try

if you look at the centre of the wheel there is cap wich has decals OZ

the wheel centrate on the hub on the hub sits the brake disc if the centre of the brake disc is too thick the wheel can not be in the middle so it vibrates if you use standard brembo discs you can forget this

andre

please cold someone explain better i don t know how to put in english words:(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Temporarily swap the rear wheels with the fronts. If you still get the shaking its not the rims or tyres, if its gone get the wheels checked out and balanced. Make sure your wheels are torqued on correctly so they sit correctly and centrally (thats what advevo was on about I think). Make sure the back of the alloys and the hub/disc face are clean before re-fitting the wheels. Check that your wheel bearings are OK and your hubs are within runout tolerance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.