Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've read the countless threads about removing the grommet, but am still not sure.

Is it purely there to prevent overboost? If I remove it, what damage could it possibly do? If I understand correctly, I will get higher boost but possibly fuel cuts to prevent overboost, and this ain't good for the engine?

Any other potential probs? See I've got sus induction, full elbow back de-cat and a SQV, but am only getting 289 bhp. Grommet removal seems to be an instant, and free, performance enhancer. It all seems to good to be true, and I don't want to damage my engine or blower. How would I know what boost I am getting, as my boost gauge peaks at 1.1 bar, which I am getting already, possibly more!

How does the grommet work? Also where is it located!

Any objective advice would be appreciated!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
andy..my son

the grommit removal is a 10 min job tops, so if you decide to do it i will let you know the details.

However, as you know i have removed mine from the standard car. i have had about two cuts and they were on extremely cold days and a very high revs.

i think that with the mods you have the boost will be raised anyway. (did the rr tell you what you peaked at?) so i would have thought that with this removed you will surely hit 1.3-4 regularly so probably best left alone. the other option is give it a go and if you get a problem put it back.
perhaps full zorst will let you breath a bit easier?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What car have you got? I get feul cuts easier on a TME than an RS2. Just remove it, if you get fuel cuts put it back. No big deal! Get a boost gauge that goes up to 2 bars or a BC that is a gauge at the same time, like the Blitz or APEX'i. YOu can also get an S-AFC or Sports ECU to avoid fuel cut, but I guess you know that already. Just dont let the fuel cuts happen or you might kill a rod.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I removed mine, and lost it. There were no probs, on the car (APEXi induction and Magnex down pipe and Cat pie No Exhaust though)and it did make the turbo spin up quicker. However, when I fitted the Blitz system it started to fuel cut on cold days under hard accel. If you've seen the standard exhaust you'll know how restrictive it is. I've now replace the gromet with a mig welder tip (thanks for the idea HH6) drilled out to 1.4mm. I've made up 4 diff dia restrictors and the 1.4mm is the largest I can go without fuel cuts. The best option would be to go for a boost controller, so that you have proper control.

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
andy, had the blitz put on this week, and it is great, sorts my curve out lovely.....

i hadnt removed the grommet when we done the rolling road, my ralliart dealer changed the restrictor size (like what adrian has done i think), and i had never had a fuel cut, but without out the controller the car would easily boost to over 1.5.

i was surprised by all of our results on the day, your spec is not that different from mine (i cant believe the sports ecu gives a 60bhp difference), so i would say a boost increase would be great on your car

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lee, Blitz? Boost controller I presume! How much did it set you back? Do you know how easy it is to fit, ie how long? Would it be any use without an ecu to raise the boost?

With a boost controller, is it purely a case of 'dial a boost pressure'?

So many questions, so little time!

Claudius,it's a GSR (5)!

P

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lee, was the restrictor/grommet removed after installing the Blitz DSBC? I'm waiting for my HKS EVC EZ, and just wondering what necessary steps I should take prior to installing it. I have no ECU yet, plan on getting it done by PE. I also have a 5 GSR.

I guess Justin finally sorted out the harness problem you were having. What are you boosting at now?

thanks m8

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andy: sorry, blitz SBC-id boost controller, bit expensive for what it does (i should of listened to thorak), but looks good in the cabin with all the flashing graphs etc, dail in the boost you want and off you go. would be ok without the ecu, as you could dial it up to a point before you get a fuel cut and keep it safe.

jigga: i didnt fit it (no surprise there), it all looked a bit complicated, apperently, you replace all of the original plumbing associated with the grommet etc, i think the evc is a simpler system, but must still take control of the boost system.

i am using the controller to calm it down at bit, so i can run stock boost on everyday trips, and the other settings (4 in all) for higher up work :), i currently have it maxed at 1.4bar.

units are nice and small and fit below the radio, which is what i wanted, as the apexi looks nice but is a bit big for hiding away.

harness should be with me tommorrow (i hope), not justins fault, racelogic seem a bit flakey on deliverys, but he got all the other stuff to me the next day.

lee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts