Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe how many older members are selling their beloved pride and joy :( I know many have reasons ie. upgrading to the newer evos but having read numerous posts about reasons etc I am now questioning myself into why we should keep our car.

I remember buying the evo IV for £19,200 mainintained with full mitsu service history for five years and paid off a 11,500 loan which we took out to get the car, people said we were mad and didn't understand the passion we had for the car. Then after deliberating last Jan we spotted the makinen for sale, hardly any miles on and not been out in the wet ! after 3 months we decided what the hell and went for it, must say its the biggest chunk of money ever for us to spend outright on a car.

Now I am questioning myself as to whether its worth keeping (as I now work from home and hardly use it) I enjoy meets and events etc, but after seeing of late how much they are dropping in pirce I dont want to lose a shed full of cash.

Then again I look at it and think NO keep it.

And its p1ssing me off me lads cossie is on a "N" plate and can get offered 15K.

·
Premium Member
22,090 Posts
I must admit I have been thinking the same thing myself, as I spend all this money on a car that I hardly use, I also work at home. Money is so tight at the mo. and the car is such a luxury, basically an expensive toy.

I even considered buying a 260, at least with a warranty (for what it is worth) there should be no unexpected expenses

But today I have just been for a blast, and now I feel it is worth the extra cost over a 'normal' car as I enjoy driving it

I will probably change my mind again tomorrow :eek:

Stu

·
Registered
792 Posts
I know where your comming from - I never thought i'd spend anything like 47k on a frikkin car, particularly one thats probably going to depreciate allarmingly!!
The way I look at it is that you only live one time and if you don't satisfy your dreams/desires (not just cars) this time round you don't get a second chance. I ensure all fundamental bills take priority - house, familly etc, but after that it tends to be a case of spend, not save.
It also makes a crap day at work much more bearable and gives me a reason to get out of bed at 6a.m. every morning.

·
Registered
46,409 Posts
Makes said:
I can't believe how many older members are selling their beloved pride and joy :( I know many have reasons ie. upgrading to the newer evos but having read numerous posts about reasons etc I am now questioning myself into why we should keep our car.

I remember buying the evo IV for £19,200 mainintained with full mitsu service history for five years and paid off a 11,500 loan which we took out to get the car, people said we were mad and didn't understand the passion we had for the car. Then after deliberating last Jan we spotted the makinen for sale, hardly any miles on and not been out in the wet ! after 3 months we decided what the hell and went for it, must say its the biggest chunk of money ever for us to spend outright on a car.

Now I am questioning myself as to whether its worth keeping (as I now work from home and hardly use it) I enjoy meets and events etc, but after seeing of late how much they are dropping in pirce I dont want to lose a shed full of cash.

Then again I look at it and think NO keep it.

And its p1ssing me off me lads cossie is on a "N" plate and can get offered 15K.
i know luv its sad

its been 2 yrs or so since the last time i saw my car

and i spent so much on it i cant even afford to sell it now after spending thousands and by myself a mr rs like fish monkeys

its sad that

i feel now what was i gonna do with 800 bhp was it worth it, its sad that , most fun i had was when it was only 340 bhp and no probs and no money spent on it :D

but i hope to God when i do get it nothing happens to it and i would cherish it i luv it so much and i hate it too

i wasted alot of money on it i regret that alot now , changing specs and buying and then selling stuff cheap to get more stuff
its a financial drain

sometimes i wish i didnt do the tuning to it

·
Premium Member
22,090 Posts
Paul16v said:
don't think my old 2's got much less to lose now anyway! :D
That was 1 big advantage of my old pulsar, it wouldn't depreciate much more than it already had, and there wasn't as much money tied up in it, and no loan to pay for it

Stu

·
Registered
24,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies chaps, Stu same boat ;)
PO8Y keep it and enjoy the thrill :D as you say you have the grin on your face ;)
Paul .. my Andy reckons the older models are the best anyway ;)

and poor Moo, I feel guilty now asking the question, Andys cross with me for putting the thread up as he says the cars paid for so why worry, i did two motorway runs to my families and never seen another :(
Moses when are you gettin the car back anyhow ??

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Get it out of the bleeding garage and drive it woman :D

You love that car, sell it.....

you would sell your hubby first
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I know what you mean, that's why I use my Mak as much as I can now....

Love it...
not for sale ;)

·
Registered
46,409 Posts
Makes said:
thanks for the replies chaps, Stu same boat ;)
PO8Y keep it and enjoy the thrill :D as you say you have the grin on your face ;)
Paul .. my Andy reckons the older models are the best anyway ;)

and poor Moo, I feel guilty now asking the question, Andys cross with me for putting the thread up as he says the cars paid for so why worry, i did two motorway runs to my families and never seen another :(
Moses when are you gettin the car back anyhow ??
dont be cross pal i feel the same sometimes

me get the car back, i hope so soon :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
I guess they have lost that all important exclusivity now as they are readily available new everywhere. This watering down has to have an affect on the earlier cars eventually. I dont think for one minute that you bought it as an investment though so I would say use it and enjoy, its irrelevant what its worth unless you sell it.

Also, I dont envisage too many more VIs coming into the country and certainly not many tidy unmolested ones. You have probably the best evo to date all things considered including cost (appart from the very rare Vis such as the extreme, RSX RS450, zero fighter etc). Nothings changed, its still the same car, you paid all that money for.

·
Registered
24,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
firebobby said:
Well said Jules :) You have to have one to appreciate one!!!
dave ;)
:kiss:

thanks pet, my brother owns a top of the range bmw (i am that interested i dont even know what model it is) he said today .. why dont you get a nice little corsa :eek: :eek: ffs do i really look a blonde bint :cry:

·
Registered
24,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leonard said:
Julie you have one of the slowest depreciating cars out there. Enjoy it, keep the miles relatively low (sounds like you will now anyway) and sell it for £20k in 15 years time, sorted :) :cool:
its just done 16,000 of which 6,000 are mines :D

Its just of late i saw crypts for sale then Aidys, then blak mak who lives close by and had a evo attack :eek:

i dont know I may be the old lady at the supermarket with a tommi mak aged 75 :crackup:

·
Registered
24,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
grants said:
No comment, he says after a couple of gins :D
:kiss: :beerchug: i don't mind fly by the seat of me pants girl me :D ;) she says after a slug of wine :D

i overtook a nice policeman today on the m6 i was doing 72 mph am i a rebel or what ;) i need to get the darn thing out more who wants lunch tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I fancy a change Julie....not too fussed about selling it , but it may get p/exed for something ordinary sometime soon. Or , knowing me and my ever changing mind , it may not....just depends what I find thats going to tempt me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts