Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's peoples views on this?

Sell a car as is with what's needing to be done fully detailed in the advert description at a slightly reduced cost, or getting the bits done and advertising at an increased cost?

I'm considering moving on but unsure whether to correct the faults.

Firstly, paintwork. The passenger side door got caught by a childs handlebar so has a light scratch, approx 4" in length. It will need paint and potential owners may have their prefered painter or they may not and think it looks tacky and un cared for...

Secondly, Minor play in OS/NS front coilover top mounts. Should I get these replaced or the potential buyer may not like Teins anyway and want more comfort of Billies with just lowering springs or a better coilover in general...

Would you list as is, or spend the £5-600 on the above items? Haven't listed a car for sale before where it hasn't been in tip top condition so I'm leaning towards getting them done but the things needing to be done could suit the new owner more to get sorted.

Cheers :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
10,742 Posts
I wouldn't do the paint , but a fresh MOT is a must IMO, I would even consider buying second hand billies and putting them on, then sell the teins separate.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
What's peoples views on this?

Sell a car as is with what's needing to be done fully detailed in the advert description at a slightly reduced cost, or getting the bits done and advertising at an increased cost?

I'm considering moving on but unsure whether to correct the faults.

Firstly, paintwork. The passenger side door got caught by a childs handlebar so has a light scratch, approx 4" in length. It will need paint and potential owners may have their prefered painter or they may not and think it looks tacky and un cared for...

Secondly, Minor play in OS/NS front coilover top mounts. Should I get these replaced or the potential buyer may not like Teins anyway and want more comfort of Billies with just lowering springs or a better coilover in general...

Would you list as is, or spend the £5-600 on the above items? Haven't listed a car for sale before where it hasn't been in tip top condition so I'm leaning towards getting them done but the things needing to be done could suit the new owner more to get sorted.

Cheers :smthumbup
Honestly the paint would put me off initially I think but I think it may be worth offering both options. I however would be happy buying a car with minor faults as long as it was advertised genuinely.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't do the paint , but a fresh MOT is a must IMO, I would even consider buying second hand billies and putting them on, then sell the teins separate.
Passed the MOT start of the week, the top mounts were advisories. Good point on the billies, may have a look and see if any are about, may even be cheaper than the top mounts :lol:

Honestly the paint would put me off initially I think but I think it may be worth offering both options. I however would be happy buying a car with minor faults as long as it was advertised genuinely.
Thats my concern, turning up to see a scratch down the side of a car is a turn off. I could try listing it with pictures of the scratch and if it gets no bites then get it sorted and try again.

I don't think it'd struggle to sell having seen what some of the previous GT's have sold for on here (mine being a white 9GT, rod job, 7460r, 460-480bhp with carbon and 18's etc and just ticked over 60k on the clock).

·
Premium Member
22,023 Posts
All depends on cost, if its strong money, it needs to be right, if its 'cheap' for a quick easy sale, it can have imperfections. You say it will cost 5-600 to get it right, you'd need to knock at least a grand off if you sell as is.

Another big factor is the condition of the rest of the car, if its immaculate, paint damage will be disappointing for a buyer, if it has odd age related marks, again priced accordingly, then it wont be such a big deal

when buying, I had the option of having a little damage fixed on my 10, or take it as is, for a little less, I took it as is, the car was generally honest, but also 8 years old with other age related marks, so the minor damage wasn't a big deal for me

Stu

·
TOO many posts.......
17,132 Posts
What's your price in your head for the car Gaz in current condition?? Stu makes a good point, I'm like you though, I'd have to get it done I think tbh, first impressions and all that, having said that, if the price is right of course it'll go.

What's mileage, spec etc Gaz and is it good underneath?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All depends on cost, if its strong money, it needs to be right, if its 'cheap' for a quick easy sale, it can have imperfections. You say it will cost 5-600 to get it right, you'd need to knock at least a grand off if you sell as is.

Another big factor is the condition of the rest of the car, if its immaculate, paint damage will be disappointing for a buyer, if it has odd age related marks, again priced accordingly, then it wont be such a big deal

when buying, I had the option of having a little damage fixed on my 10, or take it as is, for a little less, I took it as is, the car was generally honest, but also 8 years old with other age related marks, so the minor damage wasn't a big deal for me

Stu
Thanks Stu, other than afew stone chips the paintwork is sound, no wear or holes on the bolsters, no alloy curbing etc. From what you say I think I'm better off getting it done then the buyer can enjoy it without the hassle of having to get the paintwork corrected.

3 quick pics:

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What's your price in your head for the car Gaz in current condition?? Stu makes a good point, I'm like you though, I'd have to get it done I think tbh, first impressions and all that, having said that, if the price is right of course it'll go.

What's mileage, spec etc Gaz and is it good underneath?
I'm guesstimating around 20k having seen what others have gone for Pete.
60k miles, FSH, 12 months MOT.
CPP rod job, 7460r, RC injectors, 4"K&N, 3 port solenoid, Blitz intercooler, Russ Fellows cat back, Mishimoto rad with SPAL slimline fan, USDM rear lights, Tein coilovers, 18" Rotas, Carbon skirts, spats, cooling panel, gear & stereo facia surrounds, K Sport front brake kit, new speakers all round, engine dress kit, powder coated Spec R brackets, whiteline antiroll bar, they're the things off the top of my head. Underneath has plenty of surface rust/dirt, I was getting it cleaned down and thoroughly undersealed before winter got any closer.

Thats lovely :smthumbup White 9GT with engine mods i'd want, from that point could be my perfect Evo :blush:

What price have you got in mind (I can dream :blush: :lol: )

Stu
Was replying to Pete when you replied, see above :smthumbup

Check your emails Gaz
Will do, Cheers. (edit, which address :lol: checked 5 accounts and no new mails) supra.gaz @ ntlworld.com is the easiest for me mate

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
5,280 Posts
With that spec I think the car will sell itself anyway :smthumbup:smthumbup..... You've been totally honest about it's imperfections :thumbup:.... If I was looking I'd feel confident I was looking at a genuine car :smthumbup

GLWYS

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With that spec I think the car will sell itself anyway :smthumbup:smthumbup..... You've been totally honest about it's imperfections :thumbup:.... If I was looking I'd feel confident I was looking at a genuine car :smthumbup

GLWYS
For me, for 20k for a 9,i'd want the issues rectified, and the underneath sorted, but as TME's and 9 GT's are the evo's to have at the moment, with prices to match, I'm sure people out there will pay that for it as is :)

Stu
Thanks guys. Taken the car to a well respected bodyshop place this morning to get a quote for the scratch so will go from there when that comes through later :smthumbup

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well 4 years later, 5k more miles and the initial issues raised above rectified (paint sorted, new Meister coilovers) and some of my own changes (AD08R's, rebuilt box with quaife diff) it looks like that time has come to sell to fund a house extension. Will get an advert sorted and up soon. Cheers

·
Premium Member
10,008 Posts
Well 4 years later, 5k more miles and the initial issues raised above rectified (paint sorted, new Meister coilovers) and some of my own changes (AD08R's, rebuilt box with quaife diff) it looks like that time has come to sell to fund a house extension. Will get an advert sorted and up soon. Cheers
Might be an idea to put it for auction on the collecting cars site ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts