Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toying with the idea of buying some land and building our own house. Anyone on here done this? Be interested to hear about it. :smthumbup

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If you have either the money kicking around, or are prepared to live in a caravan for a long time, it's well worth it. You will get a return on your investment no matter what, AND you get to build a house with no, or very little, compromise.
Don't forget however that if it was easy, we'd all do it, however, if you're prepared for a bit of sacrifice and hard work, there's nothing as satisfying as building your own.

My Parents built our house in the 70's and it was far more than they could have afforded themselves "ready built" and it was a very special place to live.

I'm not much into houses, but I'm currently having a large cruising yacht designed by naval architects to build/have built over the next couple of years.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Toying with the idea of buying some land and building our own house. Anyone on here done this? Be interested to hear about it. :smthumbup
Never done it but we're seriously considering at the minute. Some land has become available near us at what i consider to be a steal so i spent hours researching at work last week. It's daunting to say the least!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I take it from self build you mean project managing a build & getting all relevant trades in to undertake all works? or are you planning on completing all works yourself?

If it is the first, then there are a few golden rules to stick to, to ensure you dont go over budget or get stiched up by dodgey trades people. Just PM me for any advice. I have been a on both sides so speak from experience.

Mike

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, I'm a plumber, so would obviously do that part myself. Also have made a few contacts through plumbing for other trades etc. So yes, would get other trades in to do the work. I'd be self employed by then, so could help out evenings/weekends as much as possible to try to keep cost down.

Cheers for the replies so far guys. I understand it won't be easy...nothing worth having is! I'd happily live in a caravan for a year, could probably move back into the parents house if we asked them nicely! :D

·
Registered
26,575 Posts
i know a good spark :lol:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I did it 10 yrs ago ;) I planned it ,done all the drawings/building regs ,planning application ect it took me about 2 years to complete it 100% :smthumbup
Its very satisfing but hard work :eek: im a joiner by trade but i had some very good contacts in the trade ;) i also done as much of the build i could due to tight budget :smthumbup

Then the Ex wife ****ed off and i had to sell it :wallbang::wallbang: but its still the best legal money ive ever made :rolleyes::naughty::naughty:

Billy

·
Ross Sport
17,141 Posts
Highly recommended Dom,
Done a few projects now, and despite being incredibly hard work at the time, its awesome when you reach the end! (but like Evos you never do reach it..... :D:lol:)

The only thing I would say is; when doing your costings think of a number and double it! ;)

·
Registered
26,575 Posts
the trick is estimating the amount to do it + 10% and then forcasting price rises in materials like copper that go up and down more than john terrys shreddies

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
me and the mrs was going to project manage january 2009 untill we sat down and put pen to paper of the cost's it worked out better (due to the finacial crisis) to buy we where going to build a 2000sqft detached on a 1/5 acre plot by the time we bought the plot,cleared the ground put the base and services in and boudary walls it would of cost 200k

so we look at new builds bought a 5bed show home 1900sqft that was on the market for 348k we paid 245k

·
Registered
26,575 Posts
me and the mrs was going to project manage january 2009 untill we sat down and put pen to paper of the cost's it worked out better (due to the finacial crisis) to buy we where going to build a 2000sqft detached on a 1/5 acre plot by the time we bought the plot,cleared the ground put the base and services in and boudary walls it would of cost 200k

so we look at new builds bought a 5bed show home 1900sqft that was on the market for 348k we paid 245k
how did spending 45k more work out better financally :confused:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
because it was all ready built fully furnished

we never even laid a brick and the cost was 200k so for 245k we had a complete build

·
Registered
26,575 Posts
because it was all ready built fully furnished

we never even laid a brick and the cost was 200k so for 245k we had a complete build
sorry i miss read your first post i thought the 200k was a completed house

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Dommy,
i built my house myself in the sense that I designed it, and employed all the trades to do the work etc. It was great and the total cost was £125K in 1997 it is now worth about £300K and there is no mortage on it as the money saved from building rather than buying ready made went towards the mortage.:D

Looking to build a nice retirement property next consisting of a reatil unit (shop) which I would I rent to our company and 3 flats above it. ALready have the plot and just need to get planning permission next.

BIGGEST problem you will have is getting a plot and planning permission to build what you want on it.

Have a look at some mags like BUILD IT etc it will give you some great ideas. I can't recommend it enough and you will want to do it again.

Sid

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
wish it was lol lol

it would of cost an additional 200k build which would of included every thing even down to carpets curtains furniture etc

the only thing we havent got is the property isnt on 1/5 of an acre but we saved 160k thats y the mrs had the x5 i got me evo and we kept our 1st house

·
Registered
744 Posts
I broke ground last week on a 1 Acre site I bought 9 years ago for €140k. The diggers have been on site for about a week and a half, lining out the drive levelling the grounds etc, on Friday they went to pour the foundations and they then found out that the site has a lot of running sand in it and there is no way a normal foundation will work, it’s looking like I’ll be down another 20k on the foundations alone. It’s going to be a large block house so there will be a lot of weight for the foundations to take.

But that’s the joy of a self build. I’m taking pics as I go, so when it’s finished I will put up a Thread with pictures of the build from a green field, to a home for the family.

Paul

1 - 20 of 29 Posts