Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has a Scooby (not my fault) and needs to upgrade his brakes disks and callipers. He has been offered a set of AP's that came of a totalled car (rear ended). They are 3 months old. He asked me what I thought of second hand brake components and I'm not sure. What do you guys think? What are the risks etc? What should he look for?

BTW, when I told him that I would post something because I thought you lot would have sensible advice, he commented that the MLR Forum seems a lot more technical than the Scooby lot! Any Scooby people, don't flame me, its what he said :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Shud b a good opportunity.
If the car was in good nick and regularly used b4 the shunt he shud b ok.
As they r only three months old they shud b fine but because the last three months happen 2 have been winter check 4 corrosion especially where the pads locate inside the caliper , and 4 any signs of external damage where they may have contacted a wheel.
Check the threads where the brake hoses attach.

Good luck ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Second that. The calipers and bells are the most expensive bit, so even if the lines and discs are shagged, they are not too expensive to replace (about £350).

Might be worth checking runout etc. to be sure. Presumably they are off the same make of car - otherwise fitting will be quite involved!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They should be fine, especially the more important front ones. As you say the last 3 months have been winter, so I would not expect the owner of the totalled car to have been abusing them on the track. Just make sure when they were purchased (invoice). Also check what pads were being used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.